2.5mm 16a radial feeding 4.8kw + extractor?

well just ordered a 32a breaker and going down the route of turning it into a ring for the kitchen and adding a few more sockets
Is a ring the most appropriate design for that circuit?

The rest of the house is on one ring for sockets so thought by having a ring for kitchen will take a strain off the load. Kettle, microwave, toaster, washer and tumble and what ever she plugs in the kitchen. Would a 4mm radial with a 32a breaker be a better option?

Sponsored Links
Shouldn't someone taking on the responsibility of circuit designer know what circuit and load characteristics are good matches, and which are not?

Just asking a question its a discussion forum after all. You don't seem to helping, why bother saying it might not be a good design then avoiding to answer what is.

Sponsored Links
So your saying a ring main, run on 2.5mm for a kitchen on a 32a breaker is wrong? worried now as that what the sparky is planning on doing and have ordered the breaker for him.

It's not really the best circuit for concentrated high loading like you mentioned.

whats a kitchen usually supplied by? i want this doing right that will last a good few years. At the minute everything is working ok on the 1 ring for the house sockets and the 1 radial feeding the washer and tumble drier surely a kitchen ring would be an improvement?

It seems everyone has there own way of doing it and there is no "right" way, just dont want a bodge job done by joe bloggs and co

It depends on the layout of the kitchen, the cable run from the CU, where the loads are likely to be concentrated, whether the legs of the ring will be sharing the current somewhat evenly. etc. Often the washing machine and dryer are physically close, which will load the ring at one point.

There's much to be said for 32A radials for a kitchen where a ring is likely to be unevenly loaded. Depending on layout, it can even save cable and labour.
If 4mm² cable is used (and installed in plaster or clipped direct), it's possible to branch the radial at sockets that accept 3 x 4mm² conductors, making additions easier.

Ah, well plan is only 4 sockets for now and a spur for the extractor.

CU > socket 1. Microwave and spur for extractor s2> Washer s3> tumble s4> spare but possibly kettle (if she moves kitchen around) > CU

These are all on 1 wall and ring should be around 10m long. Other side of kitchen/dining area has a double socket thats staying on the house ring where the kettle currently lives and a fridge.

I normally install a 4.0mm² radial circuit to supply the kitchen appliances such as the washer, dryer, dishwasher etc, and then the downstairs ring to supply the general use sockets, but every installation is different.

Just asking a question its a discussion forum after all. You don't seem to helping, why bother saying it might not be a good design then avoiding to answer what is.
It's not I doing the design, it's you.

I can't tell you what to do - it is your design and you are responsible for it.

It is not I who has to be able to sign this:

I being the person responsible for the Design of the electrical installation (as indicated by my signature below), particulars of which are described above, having exercised reasonable skill and care when carrying out the Design, hereby CERTIFY that the said work for which I have been responsible is to the best of my knowledge and belief in accordance with BS 7671:2008, amended to .............(date) except for the departures, if any, detailed as follows.

It's you.

The rest of the house is on one ring for sockets so thought by having a ring for kitchen will take a strain off the load. Kettle, microwave, toaster, washer and tumble and what ever she plugs in the kitchen.
The trouble with rings is that loads near one end will send a disproporationately large ammount of current down one of the two ring cables and from your description it sounds like you will end up with your two biggest loads near one end.

Would a 4mm radial with a 32a breaker be a better option?
Be aware that 4mm is on the limit at 32a. It's generally ok as long as there is no thermal insulation involved but if thermal insulation is somehow involved you are likely to need to go to a larger cable size.

Thanks for the help guys im going to put it to the man. Aleast I know of the benefits and pitfalls of each. I'm leaning to a 4mm radial with a 32a breaker now due to worries that should ring break its way too much for a 2.5 cable and the load may not be balanced.

The cable will clipped under the worktop and buried when going above. No thermal insulation and total length should be around 7m including all branches.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back