2 Channel madness - Danfoss RX2 Controller with 2x HP2a motorised valves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey folks,
I have 2 central heating circuits on separate thermostats. The stats are Danfoss TP5000RF jobbies.
They put their demands into a Danfoss RX2 controller. The boiler is a Grant Vortex 15-26-s.

I have tested the stats and the controller and am satisfied that the controller is fed the signals properly; the control unit lights the appropriate channel when it should, i.e. when there is demand for CH.

Individually demanding CH produces expected results. Both CH1 and CH2 when individually tested to make a demand, activate their respective HPA2 motorised value and voila, we’re toastie.

The problem comes when both thermostats on the CH1 and CH2 channels request central heating at the same time.
This is a new problem; no issues with the system beforehand.

When CH1 is making a call, if CH2 calls at the same time, the light on the RX2 controller illuminates, but the motorised value does not open. When CH1 ceases its call there is no change, the motorised value for CH2 does not open. The call is never met.

And yet! When CH2 is making a call, if CH1 calls at the same time, the light on the RX2 controller illuminates, but the motorised value does not open. When CH2 ceases its call, the CH1 valve then opens and the call is met.

For now, I have taken the motorised head off and left the second circuit open. That way at least I am on a working thermostat for the lot and not freezing in the area controlled by the CH2 thermostat.

But not sure what I should do to get CH2 properly working again. I appreciate a heating engineer may be the next step. But if I can try a couple of things I will.

Would changing the motorised head on CH2 make any difference? I do have one I could swap out. Would need to wire it in, but that’s doable. Having seen it operating as it should when independently tested, I doubted that this could be the issue.

I can’t think of anything else, so any thoughts appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Might be worth testing for voltages when these fail to open as normal? Could just be failing valves that are working intermittently.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back