2 gang 1 way lighting query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a dining room with a (working) ceiling light. Recent decorating has exposed wiring for a couple of wall lights previously hidden behind the wallpaper and I'd to get these working as well. There appears to be standard 2 core + earth cable coming down to both of the wall lights. There's only 1 switch in the room which has a dimmer on it. There are 4 cables coming to this switch - 1 earth, 1 red and 1 black - which are attached to the existing dimmer. There's also a second red cable which is currently doing nothing. If I want to replace the existing 1 way 1 gang dimmer with a 2 gang dimmer how should it be wired up? Am I missing a cable as I've only got 1 red cable spare :?: :?: Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
well as long as the cables havent been removed elsewhere, you change to a two gang dimmer wiring centre light switch as before C & L1, put a small link of cable between C & C terminals and single red on to the L1 terminal of the second wall light switch. the only problem you might have is the cable that goes into the first C terminal must be the permenant live feed so if it doesnt work first time you may have to swap wires in C & L1 in centre light switch

The feeds to the wall lights, if they are not switched from the wall, may well be permanent live intended for fittings with integral switches.

Thanks to you both for the suggestions.

I've wired things up as fireman suggested i.e.:

red and black cables from previous working ceiling light to L1 and C respectively of dimmer 1

jumper cable between dimmer 1 C and dimmer 2 C

2nd red cable (previously unused) to dimmer 2 L1

Now when I switch on dimmer 1 BOTH the ceiling and wall lights come on
Dimmer 2 does nothing

Does this mean I have to follow fireman's suggestion of swapping L1 and C on dimmer 1 (ceiling light)??

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
hi if you take out the cables in dimmer 2 when you switch on dimmer 1 do they all still light together?

Hi fireman

If I've understood you correctly you're asking me to disconnect L1 and C on dimmer 2 and check dimmer 1 - in this case only the ceiling light comes on and not the wall lights.

Hi, yep, with no wires going into dimmer 2 then only the ceiling light comes on when I switch on dimmer 1 (no wall lights)

cheers

right then if you connect it as before it should work, but if dimmer 1 needs to be on for dimmer 2 to work you will have to swap C & L1 wires in dimmer 1, must leave the link in between C terminals, (nearly there)

happy to help, just noticed nearly 100 views but no help, oh well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back