2 Gang 2 Way Dimmer Help.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please can somebody help me!!!
I have two lights in the kitchen and there are two switches to control them. One plate has one switch the other, on the opposite side of the room has two. I have replaced the one switch on one side of the room with the dimmer and it works....no problem....However, on the other side where I have the two switch plate the wiring is complicated and I am begining to wish that I had never started on this job. I will try to describe in simplest way I can.

There are four wires entering the box from the top.

All four Earths are connected to the box at the back.

There are three black wires joined together in a plastic clip together.

The switch has at the top

Common 1
Red Wire

Red Wire

And at the bottom of the switch

Red Wire
Yellow Wire

Red Wire
Blue wire

Common 1
Red Wire

There is also a red wire loop connecting 2 to common 1.

Both lights at either side of the room work.

I have tried to attach the two switch dimmer but it does no work.

The switches I have are Get 2 gang 2 way 250W dimmer and a 1 gang 2 way 400W dimmer.

Please can someone help me. I to learn how to do this myself.

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Hi Holmslaw

Thanks for your help I would never have known that this couldn't be done. I am a bit concerned about the red loop between 2 and common on the switch. Is this normal. I have seen many connections between the two commons on the switch. I have discovered now that when I turn the light on with the single dimmer the normal switch does not switch it off. It switches it on. The light gets brighter. Can you tell me what is happening ?

Sponsored Links
It is perfectly normal to have the two switches linked together for the permanent live.
If it isn't switching properly then you have probably wired the new switch incorrectly.
If you post up photos of both of backs of both of the switches and the associated wiring (including which cables the wires are from) someone will probably be able to tell you how to correct it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back