2 Gang 2 Way Light Switch Problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I am hoping that someone might be able to help out with a common problem that seems to pop up a lot on this forum, however, I have not been able to find an answer to at the moment.

I have a 2 gang 2 Way Light Switch at the bottom of my stairs which drives the downstairs hall light and an upstairs landing light. One of the switches should control the downstairs light only and the other will control the on/off of the landing light from either the downstairs or landing switch. I have them currently wired up as per the attached picture.
The three grouped wires on the right hand side (red to common, yellow to L1, blue to L2) allow the upstairs light to be switched on and off successfully from both the downstairs switch and the upstairs switch.

On the left hand side I have the two grouped wires (Red to L1 and Black to L2), which I am assuming will drive the downstairs light. Unfortunately, it does not switch on or off, i.e. light remains off.

Where am I going wrong?

Any help and advice is greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I am hoping that someone might be able to help out with a common problem that seems to pop up a lot on this forum
The problem pops up at the home where the person removing/replacing switches does not note down and mark up how the switch was wired before their intervention
however, I have not been able to find an answer to at the moment.
It will be somewhere, possible here //www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:Single-way-lighting (note click on non harmonised colours for old versions of core colours)
On the left hand side I have the two grouped wires (Red to L1 and Black to L2), which I am assuming will drive the downstairs light. Unfortunately, it does not switch on or off, i.e. light remains off.
It has no way of creating a closed circuit with the conductors in L1 and L2
Where am I going wrong?
The permanent live possible the red goes to Com
The switch live possible the black (that should also be be sleeved red) to L1.
If the switch operates upside down, swap the conductors around so red com and black L2. Now need drink!

Sponsored Links
Thanks folks.

The advice has certainly done the trick and I now have a hall and landing light switch working as expected.

Further advice would be to get some green and yellow sleeving over those bare earth wires.

Sleeving available from any electrical wholesaler, most large DIY shops and Wilko.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back