2 gang 2 way switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am another one with the problem of wiring a 2 gang 2 way light switch. I have a supply in RED. BLACK and Earth.
I have 2 lights to run from this switch. I therfore have 2 easily identifiable leads each with RED.BLACK and Earth.
The switch has Common, L1 and L2 terminals.
How do I connect the cable so the lights work independantly to each other?

Cheers for any advice.
Dave

Sponsored Links
You may have noticed the lack of response to your post, this is probably due to the confusing information given. Are you saying you have an existing light switch that you want to convert to a double to supply another light?
If so, then you will find you have no neutral at the switch so you will need to obtain one from the ceiling rose that feeds that switch.

I read it that you have supply (live, neutral and earth) coming to the switch position and 2 x live, neutral and earth exiting switch and running to light positions.

If that's the case, you take the live feed (red core) to common (on either switch); all blacks to a choc block terminal (your neutral); cut a short length of red core to bridge from the common on switch 1 to the common on switch 2; connect red core from each cable to the lights in L1 on the switch; sleeve and connect all earths in back box or choc box if plastic box; add sleeved earth from there to switch plate if metal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back