2 gang 3 way switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Just discovered this great forum a couple of days ago. May be one you can help me.

I've got a 2 gang switch in the downstairs hallway. One has broken. one is a two way and the other is part of a 3 way system ie one light is switched on by 3 switches (don't know if there's technical term for this).

I'm unable to find a replacement for this 2 gang switch anywhere. I'm probably looking in the wrong place. Local sparky keeps promising me to make one but that was 6 months ago. I could be wrong, but Looks like mine were specially built and have 4 connections. 2 at top and 2 at bottom.
any help on this would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I think MEM do, ( or they used to), switchplates that you could interchange the switches with each other so you could buy a two gang two way switch and a 1gang intermediate switch and replace one of the 2 ways with the intermediate.

The switch with two in and two out is called an intermediate switch

I guess the other switch has three terminals ( c, L1 and L2?)

To make one you need to get what is called a grid switch. They are pretty easy to get from any decent wholesaler, also on line from Screwfix, TLC etc.
Most common make is MK but also Crabtree and others make them.

You'll need
A 2 gang front plate
A 2 gang mounting grid
An intermediate switch
A 2-way switch.

If my guess (above) is not right then pls take a picture of the back of the switches and post it on here.

Goto any electrical wholesalers and tell them you want to make up a grid switch with 1 x intermediate and 1 x 2 way switch. They will sell you all the bits that you need.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for quick reply, That's the problem, I can't find any 2 gang 2 way switch any where around where I live. The ones I have are the plate version and I cant find them either. I've even tried Maplins. haven't heard of MEM.

Thanks guys, grid system it is then, easy when you know how. I've got a local screwfix branch so, as you guys say,shouldn't be hard to get them.
thanks again for your help ( all of U )

MEM is a brand of electrical equipment, like mk, or crabtree. Thats the only kind i've come across before, apart from grid switches. If its a grid you already have i wouldnt have thought it would be a problem getting a replacement from any electrical wholesaler.

Or you could just buy a 2-gang intermediate switch and on one gang only use 3 of the terminals so it works as a 2-way... :confused:

Scolmore Polar and Mode range all have interchangeable switches so a distributor can easily make up a 2 gang intermediate or whatever else you require for a fraction of the price of grid!

Hope this helps

I couldn't find any 2 gang 2way or 2 gang intermediate switches to play around with anywhere, hence I asked for help. I could have replaced the 2 gang with 2 separate swiches but that's not cricket,lol, any way got enough info on this now, thanks to all

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back