HELP installing new 3 gang 2 way switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
im baffled at to how to wire this switch, iv attatched as may photos as posible hopefully someone can point me in the right direction...

there a 2 hallway lights which are controlled by 2 seperate switches 1 on a 3 gang a 1 on 1 gang.

there is 1 hallway light controlled by 1 switch on the 3 gang and 1 switch on a 2 gang upstairs.

i have attached photos of how 3 gang was previously, previous 3 gang switch terminals, new 3 gang switch terminals and wires in backbox, 1 gang 2 way switch, 2 gang 2 way switch

Sponsored Links
what's the problem you know how the original was wired just copy the terminals across to the new switch.or better still get someone who knows what there doing. why are you messing with it if you haven't a clue how to do a simple job.

As Gutterball less than diplomatically puts it, the photo of the original shows how it was wired up. The layout of the two switches is the same, so you just have to copy one to the other.

There are three gangs on each switch and each gang has three terminals. L1, L2 and Com. These should be marked on the switch. Also, the terminals are arranged in a triangle. L1 & L2 will be at one end (top or bottom) and Com will be opposite. Then the next gang will be the same but inverted, so Com will be at the opposite end to the gang next to it. There are two lines draw on each switch and that helps indicate the grouping of the terminals.

You should be able just copy one from the other as long as you know what ones went where.

all switches are marked up the same just depends if you can remember what cables went to which switch and whether it went in COM,L1 or L2

The black with the red piece around it are your switch lives, which should be wired to the live in the light fitting so when you switch the light on the red (Live) joins to Black (Switched Live)

Its not complicated but you would need to know what cables go to where.

Hope it helps..

Sponsored Links
all switches are marked up the same just depends if you can remember what cables went to which switch and whether it went in COM,L1 or L2

That just is not true. You should get out more and not spend your time eating peanut butter in the Jungle Room.

Many switches do have COM. L1 and L2.
BUT
Some others are marked L1 L2 and L3
Some split up their switches and are marked A A1 A2, B B1 B2, etc
and there are others that I cant remember right now.

i have tried to wire this up the same and it does not work correctly that is why i started this post have tried a bit of trial and error also but no good.

i have attached a picture of the new switch it has no COM but just L

pics could do with brightness increase or flash using.

Use L as COM.

Did the other lights which were 1 way work ok ?

I think I can see why you are having problems.
The two switches are laid out differently. In fact I have never seen such a cock-eyed layout as the new one.!!

The following skectch should help. I cannot see the terminal markings from your pix but hopefully you can work it out from here?

ok so what goes where though because i understood the layout of the terminals but as it happens i have been putting single live to L and bridging over to another L then for twin iv put red L1 black L2? got 2 lights working with the 3 gang but the other switches for the same light dont work it?

am i missing a bridge to the 3rd L? dont see how i could though as there was not 1 there originally

There are many ways that switches can be terminated when a two way function is required, the key things are
*Note down terminal points and mark-up conductors prior to removal/replace
*Familiarize yourself with the corresponding formation of the terminals on the switches
*Failure to do this would then require identifying the permanent live/lives, and the switch lives of each lighting point, some times trial and error is required
*If the above is not possible then electrical testing of the circuit is required
*The above stage would require test equipment that can test for continuity, polarity and voltage, and someone who can perform those tests

ok so what goes where though because i understood the layout of the terminals but as it happens i have been putting single live to L and bridging over to another L then for twin iv put red L1 black L2? got 2 lights working with the 3 gang but the other switches for the same light dont work it?

am i missing a bridge to the 3rd L? dont see how i could though as there was not 1 there originally

Your pictures are hopeless !

2 way switching will always require a wire in the COM or L terminal to work. It's normally a red wire.

If you have run out of wires, yes you could try bridging over another live connection to the COM L terminal and see what happens.

It might work.

Other wise if you do have 3 wires avaiable for the 2 way switch, you probably have the red wires mixed up between L1/L2 and COM L

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back