Changing a 3 gang 2 way switch to 2 gang 2 way?????

On the old 3 gang, which of the two switches are you trying to combine?

Sponsored Links
i have done some trial and error but not really got far, been getting close but no cigar ie getting 1/2 working but cannot for the life of me get all 3 back to normal.

i have connected the single live to the L terminal then bridged over to the other L terminal which i think is right?

that leave 3 wires containing twin red/black (with red sleeve) now in the picture with the new switch i have joined a red to L1 and the other black to L2, but its not getting all lights working.

trying to combine the 2 hallway lights (two way as there is another switch across the hallway), then that leave the landing light on its own which is also two way as there is a switch for this at the top of the stairs

so am i right in thinking that A1, B1, C1 act as L1...same with L2 and Com is L so if i connect all the same as in the original picture of the old switch but say connect A+B, A+C, C+B whichever works out the 2 lights i want to put together i should have it back how it was? will give this ago today if so

Sponsored Links
I would personally just concentrate on getting one of the light working and leave the link out, until you have achieved that. Then the link can be fitted, this link would likely be best placed in L1 as would the perm live.
So I would start with perm live in L1, then black (red sleeve) to L and red to L2, if this fails to work swap L and L2.

ok i tried the method suggested above and old 1 of the 3 feeds works, (1 hallway light near front door)

i have just thought could it be because the other hallway light can be controlled by another switch which does not control the light mentioned above that it cannot infact be adapted tp a 2 gang and will need to remain as a 3 gang?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back