2 gang dimmer switch, loose earth wire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my 1 way 2 gang dimmer switch has stopped working, and when I have come to replace it I noticed that although there is an earth wire from the wall socket to the dimmer switch, there is also another earth wire which is loose. I assume this should be connected - where should it connect to?

Sponsored Links
Is the back box metal?

If so, I would expect the earth wire(s) from the cable to go to the back box terminal, then a link to the switch plate earth terminal.
or
the earth wire(s) from the cable to go to the switch plate earth terminal, then a link to the back box terminal.

Make sure the ends of the wires are in good order, not on the verge of breaking off, before you re-tighten the terminals.

The metal faceplates must be earthed.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all. There do appear to be two separate earth cables coming out of the wall, one which seems to simply go from the back box earth terminal to the dimmer switch earth terminal, but then also another coming out of the main set of cables which is not attached to anything. Is it safe to leave this open, or can I connect it to the dimmer switch earth terminal along with the other one? I can't tell if the two earth cables are connected inside the wall.

Thanks all. There do appear to be two separate earth cables coming out of the wall, one which seems to simply go from the back box earth terminal to the dimmer switch earth terminal, but then also another coming out of the main set of cables which is not attached to anything.
When you say "main set of cables", plural, do you mean that you have more than one twin & earth cable there?

Is it safe to leave this open
No.

or can I connect it to the dimmer switch earth terminal along with the other one?
You must connect it - if you don't then the switch will not be earthed.

I can't tell if the two earth cables are connected inside the wall.
According to you only one of them comes from inside the wall... :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back