2 gang dimmer switch to 1 gang.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I need some advice again if i may.
I have a 2 gang dimmer switch i'd like to fit in place of a brass 1 gang 1 way switch, only have/need 1 switch in the room. The instructions are a bit vague - to me.
Is it as simple as fitting the red wire to L1 & the black to L2 on 1 of the gangs? Or? seems logical, I'd go for it, but I'm alone this week, so if i blow myself up, no one will miss me for about 4 days ha ha.

Regards, Dan.

Sponsored Links
What do the instructions say?

Unfortunately there's no standard for how switch terminals are labelled, some use COM/L1/L2, some L1/L2/L3, and dimmers often use symbols.

What's on your existing switch and what's on the dimmer?

And why did you buy a 2-gang one to replace a 1-gang switch? :confused:

if i blow myself up, no one will miss me for about 4 days ha ha
Turn the heating off before you start - that way if you do blow yourself up you won't start to smell ha ha.

Thanks, The instructions say, connect live wire into the connectors L1, L2. screw the frame onto the rear box installed inside of the wall. Aside from refitting it to the wall, Thats it.
On the new switch itself, simply 2 blocks each labelled L1 & L2. Cant upload pics here, so have put one of the new switch in my profile photo album.
My exsisting switch looks 2 gang I THINK, has the red wire to 2 com inter and red 2 top no markings on either. both the 1 wire slots are free.
Was given the switch.So thought i'd put it to use!
This is the switch I'm trying to install. http://www.vinsani.com/pd-heartbeat-2-gang-1-way-stainless-steel-touch-light-switch.cfm

Regards.

Sponsored Links
Are you confusing terms? 2-gang means two separate switches. 2-way means one switch with 2 switch outputs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back