2 Gang light switch help!!! (PLEASE)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Recently moved into my first home there is a double light switch which only has one twin and earth cable coming out of the wall but this controls my hallway and outside light.

One of the switches turns on the hallway light and the other operates both the hallway and outside light - I'm a bit confused!!!

Any ideas? Will upload pictures shortly.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If you really have got a 2-gang switch with independent control of 2 lights, and it only has 1 twin & earth cable then the only idea I've got is that some unbelievably incompetent idiot has used the earth core for live.

Photos will be very useful.

Photos needed for sure.

It could be a three core and earth that you are confusing with a twin and earth?

We will know how to advise with some pics.

Have another look. Maybe an extra single core coming through the back or something.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies

i got it wrong, it is 3 wires, yellow, blue and red and a earth wire.........here are the picture please click on them to enlarge them, thanks again!

I'm a bit confused!!!
So was the twonk who wired that switch...

Presumably you'd like one gang to operate the hall light, and one to operate the outside light?

Use your multimeter to identify the permanent live (probably the red, but there are no guarantees), put that into one of the COM terminals, and link to the other one, put the yellow into one L1, the blue into the other.

BAS - KISS

rawdiy, move the dark blue wire to the other end of the pale blue wire and remove the pale blue link.

That will mean the blue and yellow go into the COM and the reds in the two L1 - the other guy said move the reds to the COM's???

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back