2 gang replaced by 3 gang but no neutral available

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a similar situation to the person that has fitted a 3 gang switch in place of 2 gang wired for two way switching. I understand that I have no neutral (permanent neutral that is) to install a simple one way switching circuit for on extra independent light.

My house has the usual circuit breakers to different circuits. Can I use the neutral from the sockets in my kitchen and the live which is available at the existing 2 gang switch or do I need to use the neutral AND the live from the same circuit (namely the socket circuit).

I look forward to your answer.

Sponsored Links
You must NEVER use neutrals from other circuits and I wouldn't really want to use a supply from the sockets to feed into a switch as there is the issues of fusing down and a non-lighting circuit in the switch when it comes to isolation.

however if its a double switch and you currently have two permanent lives coming in from the same cuircuit it may be possible to turn one of them into a neutral by making changes at the roses.

you will need to get a good understanding of how both switches are fed before you can figure out if that is possible though.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

All I ask is please don't 'borrow' a neutral from another circuit, as it may arise to a different {'fault'} post in the future when you come to testing etc....(even if you could, borrowing a neutral from a circuit in the kitchen would be notifiable too, and you dont want that, do you !! ):LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

If the neutral & live were on different sides of the board, you'd trip the RCD anyhow..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back