2 gang switch mayhem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have got myself completely confused with the simple task of replacing a two gang switch; was relying on a mental note of existing wiring. The two gang switch operates the living room light and upstairs landing. Upstairs landing has a single switch.

There are three separate grey cables. Two have red, yellow and blue. One two red. Tried wiring the two grey with r, y, b to a seperate switch, red to L, blue to L1 and yellow to L2. IT didn't work. Then tried to add in the grey cable with two red, this either made the living room light come on permanently, with switch for upstairs working or switch on the upstairs permanently and switch does nothing downstairs. Also noticed the current setup, upstairs permanently on,none of tthe llights in other rooms downstairs work. Tried getting an electrician out but not managed to get one to call in yet

Sponsored Links
You can opt for Plan A, or Plan B.

PLAN A:
  • Learn how lighting circuits are wired.
  • Get a multimeter and learn how to use it.
  • Identify which conductors are which at the switches and the light positions.
  • Check for voltage present, circuit continuity, switches working etc.
  • Connect everything up properly.
PLAN B:
  • Keep trying to find an electrician.

None of the lights in the other rooms downstairs work?

That's unusual.

Unless you've altered another switch or a ceiling light's wiring.

If you haven't there's likely to be an odd use of 3 core going on.

What should happen is that when you short the two reds together the lounge light comes on.

If the 3 core cables have been wired conventionally, one will be a two way cable from the upstairs landing switch to the downstairs one.

But be careful! It may well be on another circuit to the downstairs lights!!

The other is probably a two way cable from the 2 gang living room switch to another switch elsewhere that operates the lounge light.

Sponsored Links
Ha thanks. After trail and error managed to find a setup that worked. Lights downstairs lost as I hadn't wtired in the live wire from switch board. Once I did this all the lights downstairs worked and the switch worked. Solved the upstairs light by putting the red wire in l1 and blue in L.

Fingers crossed might still get an electrician to check. Noticed there is an earth wire going into the back box. Is that sufficient or do I need to actually feed an earth off the switch? It's metal. Cheers

After trail and error managed to find a setup that worked.
Electrical-installation-by-guesswork is a seriously bad idea...

Noticed there is an earth wire going into the back box. Is that sufficient or do I need to actually feed an earth off the switch? It's metal.
You need to connect the earth to the switch.

You could do worse than post some pictures here of what you've done, so we can at least check you're not going to kill your family.

I've posted a pic, thanks for your concern and patient advice.

I've taken the earth which was in the back box and now attached to the switch. I have also discovered an issue, when the using the switch upstairs to turn the upstairs light on, if I try to use the downstairs switch it doesn't work.

I've tried getting hold of a local electrician but they keep letting me down - say they will call in but never showing up - what a mess.

Thanks. Is that a thin-plate switch? Or is that a switch surround plate I can see?

Doesn't look a lot of room. :cry:

Managed to get an electrician, £30 lighter but slept well! Turns out needed a yellow cable at the common. What completely confused me was when I checked the upstairs landing switch all wires were red and had no way of identifying what was neutral etc.

Thanks for your concern and advice good to know this forum exists for potential future clock ups ;-0

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back