2 gang switch -only 1 live in-is this common?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
https://flic.kr/p/23wdW7t
https://flic.kr/p/24Tk1vt
https://flic.kr/p/FehRh2

Apologies for a long-winded post . this may be obvious to some but not me.
Hope photos are clear enough...
Doing a bathroom refurb- I've removed the old dividing wall between toilet and bathroom which have their own independent ceiling light(s) via a 2 gang switch. bathroom has a lowered ceiling with 4x spotlights(plus an extra pendant bulb which I've put in temp. for some extra light)- these all work off the left side of the 2 gang switch as you look at it on the photo. the one ceiling light for the old toilet which is in the ceiling void works off the right side of the switch.i'm going to extend the lowered ceiling and fit two more spots so the old toilet light will be redundant and going to fit a single gang switch to replace the 2 gang .I understand what to do just unsure why it was wired in this way.
The only live in to the switch comes from the toilet light (bottom right of the switch photo) The bathroom spots get their live from the link wire that has been put in and is seen crossing the switch diagonally. The switch cable from/to the bathroom lights has had its neutral chopped and disconnected at both ends-the photo of the terminal blocks inside the ceiling void shows the 3 x reds and only 2xblacks at the ceiling 'rose'.
Any ideas why this was done? Realise it's a minor thing but there are switch cables for both lights so why not use them? Not come across this before.

Sponsored Links
I understand what to do just unsure why it was wired in this way.
If you mean why hasn't it two supply wires, then just because that's how they did it.

The switch cable from/to the bathroom lights has had its neutral chopped and disconnected at both ends
Therefore it is not a neutral, is it?

Neutrlal is the term used for a conductor which completes the circuit from the load back to the supply.
It is not a name for any black (or blue) wire.
Wires can be anything we want them to be; they do not know what colour they are.

-the photo of the terminal blocks inside the ceiling void shows the 3 x reds and only 2xblacks at the ceiling 'rose'.
Didn't you say one of the blacks was disconnected at both ends?

Any ideas why this was done? Realise it's a minor thing but there are switch cables for both lights so why not use them? Not come across this before.
What difference would it make?

If you mean why hasn't it two supply wires, then just because that's how they did it.

Yeah...I can see that

Therefore it is not a neutral, is it?

Neutrlal is the term used for a conductor which completes the circuit from the load back to the supply.
It is not a name for any black (or blue) wire.
Wires can be anything we want them to be; they do not know what colour they are.

thanks, not heard that before..

Didn't you say one of the blacks was disconnected at both ends?

Yes, that's why there are only two blacks at the ceiling rose. I wasn't asking why...

What difference would it make?

a wire disconnected and left that way unterminated inside a back box or ceiling void could be a hazard if someone connected it at one end only to a live supply. It happens.

Last edited:
What's all that crap in the block connectors hanging from the ceiling outside of an enclosure; with sheaths removed and with cpcs chopped off (as well as a totally unnecessary number of connectors used)?

Sponsored Links
What's all that crap in the block connectors hanging from the ceiling outside of an enclosure; with sheaths removed and with cpcs chopped off (as well as a totally unnecessary number of connectors used)?

Not pretty I agree. Will be rectified before closing up the ceiling.

"Rectified"?

Be very worried - clearly your electrical installation has been ministered to by the sort of dangerous, ignorant numpty who thinks that this is OK:

upload_2018-3-4_23-41-21.png

It is very much not OK, for a number of reasons, but the most shocking is the way he has destroyed earth continuity.

If you want to trust your life (yes, literally) to a dork like that, go ahead, but I cannot advise too strongly that you have the entire installation inspected.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back