2 gang switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, Great forum.
I know similar has been posted but I haven't found this exact situation explained.

I'm replacing a 1st floor 2 gang switch as one of the physical switches has snapped.
The left hand switch controls the landing lights on floor 2.
The right hand switch controls the landing lights on floor 1 (same floor as the switch).
The landing lights on floor 1 can also be controlled by a switch in the entrance hall on the ground floor.
All works perfectly but just this 1st floor switch needs replacing due to being snapped as mentioned above.

I'm guessing the labelled wires on the photo of the original switch should go to the following holes on the new switch (photos below).
But there is 1 less hole in the new switch so (according to my guess below, wire 3 has no new home :(.
Is below correct please and if so - where should wire 3 go on the new switch?

Many thanks for your help.

Wire number Correct hole in new switch
1 L11
2 L12
3 ?
4 L21
5 L22
6 COM1
7 COM2

Photo - broken switch
old - broken.jpg

Photo old wiring (all working)
old - original wiring.jpg

Photo old wiring (all working) different angle
old - original wiring 2.jpg

Photo new switch
new - no wires.jpg

Attachments

• old - original wiring.jpg
    old - original wiring.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 14
  • old - original wiring 2.jpg
    old - original wiring 2.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 10
Sponsored Links
The left hand switch is an "intermediate" switch.

You will need to buy another switch with an intermediate switch and a two-way switch, or
one with two intermediate switches which you would be able to use.

Thanks for the reply. Oh no - so I've bought the wrong replacement switch!
If anyone has time post a link to the correct replacement switch (hopefully with exactly the same connections as the old broken switch so I can just reconnect like to like) that would be much appreciated.

Thankyou.

but in reality all you need is a replacement intermediate switch toolstation code 83157 that is unless you want to replace the whole asembly with nice shiny new switches and face plate

Sponsored Links
Awesome - thankyou very much - I didn't even realise the individual switches were modular.
I've ordered just the intermediate module as everything else is OK, arriving tomorrow.

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back