Some help swapping these 2 way switches (NOW SOLVED)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, hope you can help. Just redecorated and changing the sockets and light switches. We have a town house so two floors.

By the front door and the bottom of the stairs is a two way switch that controls the bottom stairs light and the first landing lights

On the first floor is a single intermediate switch that turn on and off the landing lights and a single switch that turns on and off the top floor light

Top floor is a double switch that controls the top stairs light and the 2 first floor lights.

The issue I'm having is transferring the wires from the old switch into the new switch as the terminals are marked up differently.

Old switch: com X2 - black wires with black sleeve

L1-l2. Then another L1 L2

The new switch is com 1, com 2, l11, l12 ,l21, l22

I assumed l11 and l12 was old L1 and L2

And l21 and l22 was other old L1 L2

But this setup keeps tripping the RCD

What configuration do I need so that the new switch wires up and works like the old?

Many thanks for your help

IMG20230626121017.jpg

Old Front door double switch∆∆

IMG20230626134404.jpg

Old Top floor double switch

IMG20230626144518.jpg

New switch setup to replace both

Sponsored Links
up-down switches.jpg

On the old plate the two switches are the same way up On the new plate one switch is upside down.

I understand that thanks, but there is no L1 and L2 terminals on the new switch. The terminals are, l11,l12 then l21 and l22

Thanks

Well, if you understand the two triangles then what difference does it make what markings are used?

They have made it easier for you by marking one switch 1 and the other 2 with the appropriate COM, 1 and 2.

COM1
L11
L12

COM2
L21
L22

Sponsored Links
When you say it trips THE RCD, are all the lights covered by one RCD or are the three lights on different circuits and two RCDs trip?

I think the only thing that would cause an RCD to trip is - if the lights are on different circuits - and you have mixed up some wires.

Either the COM wires in the picture which look the same - or

some of the wire couples but that would be more difficult.

Well, if you understand the two triangles then what difference does it make what markings are used?

They have made it easier for you by marking one switch 1 and the other 2 with the appropriate COM, 1 and 2.

COM1
L11
L12

COM2
L21
L22
This resolved it thanks, the com 1 and com 2 explanation made sense. I labeled the wires up marker pen to identify which was from switch 1 and switch 2

Thanks again

IMG20230626194750.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back