Replacing lightswitch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I wonder if anyone can give me some pointers on this.. I bought a new 2-gang 2-way lightswitch to replace a broken item.. and thought as usual it would be a simple case of swapping the wires over from the connectors on the old one to the same on the new one.

The switch controls two lights, which are each also switched by two other two gang switches.

However the connectors differ so I’m not sure how to wire it. If it’s going to be difficult I will get an electrician but I thought that fitting a new light switch would be straightforward (having done similar many times).

The new switch has the following connectors : L11, L12 and COM1, L21, L22 and COM2. This is similar to what I’ve seen before on other switches.

However the old one has different connectors : L1 (light grey wire), L2 (light grey), L3 (black), L4 (black) at the back of one of the switches, and 1W (black), 2W(light grey) and COM (brown) at the back of the other switch.

I guess that L1 would go to L11, L2->L12, L3->L21, L4-L22 ? But not sure what to do with the COM and 1W/2W wires.. as there is no 1W/2W on the new switch.

Is it possible to wire this new switch to work, or do I need to get a different sort of switch?

Thankyou.

Sponsored Links
Post pics of the back of old and new switches, and the existing wiring.

The one with the 4 terminals is an 'intermediate' switch so you will need another 'intermediate' switch.

Intermediate switches can also be used as 1 way or 2 way, but
1 way or 2 way switches cannot be used as intermediates.

If you get a switch with 2 intermediates then you will be able to swap.

On the other:
Com = Com1 = Com2
1 way = L12 = L22
2 way = L13 = L23

Last edited:
Great, thanks, good to have learnt something!.. I will return this switch and get the intermediate type.

Sponsored Links
Here are some pictures of the existing switch, the two way one i bought and the intermediate switch. Just to confirm.. if i get this intermediate switch i will then be able to swap over? (still not totally sure which wires would go where). thankyou again.
old switch.jpg
two way switch.jpg
intermediate switch.jpg

from top to bottom your pics show:
2way/intermediate
2way 2 gang
3 pole isolator [typical for bathroom fan] which I believe has no relevance to the original post.

To use an intermediate as a 2-way you just wire it the same with the two wires at one end and the one at the other.
It doesn't matter which terminal you leave empty.

Bear in mind a 2-gang intermediate will not be as readily available so you might be better looking on-line first.

Interesting.. the 3rd pic was from an amazon listing (not sure i'm allowed to post the link here???) .. which was described as "Intermediate Light Switch (2 Gang)"

Interesting.. the 3rd pic was from an amazon listing (not sure i'm allowed to post the link here???) .. which was described as "Intermediate Light Switch (2 Gang)"
So verrrrrry wrong!
Having looked again,it's even marked as '3 pole fan'.

Ah yes, i didn't see that! Maybe they got the picture wrong on the listing, quite a common thing to happen.. before buying i will contact them to check. thankyou.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Thankyou for the links, i will take a look later.

Hi,

I was also looking to replace my 2 way light switch. Can anyone help by looking and pics below of the existing and new light switch and help identify which wires will go where please?

IMG_6276.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6275.jpeg
    IMG_6275.jpeg
    214.1 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_6274.jpeg
    IMG_6274.jpeg
    198 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_6273.jpeg
    IMG_6273.jpeg
    198.7 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_6288.jpeg
    IMG_6288.jpeg
    178.3 KB · Views: 129
Sleeve the exposed copper of the earth conductor when doing the rest of the work

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back