2-way lighting switches, on stairs

I don't understand, I thought I had to do away with the grey cable.

Sponsored Links
I see that now.
Things are so different now to when I started my apprenticeship in 1959. All I seemed to do was cut and thread conduit.

Sponsored Links
A
Is it right that the the only reason the 2 power cables are in the light is for the loop? They is a junction block in the attic near the upstairs light for one of those cables is it best to do it ther instead

It makes no difference electrically but I would advise not - so that it can all be restored easily in the future and be apparent.

Of course, you could leave the rose unaltered and use the connectors for the light connections.

If you currently have this:
upload_2020-3-29_20-48-6.png
and you can easily do this:
upload_2020-3-29_20-49-56.png
then yes that is a lot nicer, but don't go out of you way to do so.

Whatever happens make sure you keep all of the earthwires intact.

78 well done you have 14 years on me and I'm already looking at bungalows as I am starting to look at a flight of stairs and wish...

It makes no difference electrically but I would advise not - so that it can all be restored easily in the future and be apparent.

Good point.

If you do this, don't cut anything shorter

Last edited:
Of course, you could leave the rose unaltered and use the connectors for the light connections.

I'd advise against this bit as the wires into the terminals forms part of the 'cordgrip' arrangement.

Good point.

If you do this, don't cut anything shorter
The more I think about this, the upstairs circuit wiring should be removed from the rose as not only is it on a different circuit, it is also on a different CU.

I don't know if that is a concern in a single property.

Perhaps a warning label or two would suffice.

All done.

The wires in the neutral were very short and one had broken at the screw so I have taken it into the junction box and made the red and black in the short piece spare to keep the earth going.

All weekend my dearly beloved has been saying it was OK as it was and moaning that I spent so much time on it, now that it's done she is over the moon and told 4 people on the phone how clever I am.

Now she is asking if the other lights in the front passage and and the upstairs landing can be included.

Thank you all for your help, I really thought it was going to be an electricians job in a few months time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back