2-way lighting switches, on stairs

Sponsored Links
Can you post pics of the wiring at both switches , and in close up showing terminal markings ?

On wikipedia they show a 'test light' they show a 'voltage tester with 3 lamps' mine is very old and 4 neons.

Sponsored Links
When I changed switches at my last house I'm sure there were more wires for exactly the same arrangement

I missed that, no there is 1 yellow with a red link between the 2 terminals.

Is this what you have Jack?

upload_2020-3-27_17-40-9.png

EDIT:
I see the little link wires at the ends of the yellow are red, the colour makes no difference.

down stairs the yellow goes into L22 then the red link to L12 but I don't expect it matters.

Assuming the 3 core cable runs directly between the switches,
I'm afraid to say you need to run another cable to get a couple of 2 way circuits working.

As we usually need both lights on together would there be any way of combining both lights on one circuit?

We've just decorated this area and don't want to start ripping walls open

Is @SUNRAY some where close, there are two common methods to wire two way lights, as taught in school
two-way-school-boy.jpg
and more practical
two-way-real.jpg
the school method often needs connector blocks in the switches, but neither seems to fit, so I am looking at a third methods
Alt-two-way-wiring.jpg
if the final method is used, then the challenge is to work out what colours are used for com, in all three diagrams getting L1 and L2 swapped is not really a problem, as long as com is correct. I would has guessed that the red, black is not two way, so simple com and L1, and the red, yellow, blue is two way. However I would start by working out what wires a live feed in, so if I was doing it every wire would go into a block connector and then using a meter work out which is always live.

but for help from forum best option is pictures.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back