Help changing light switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello I need some help I took my old light switch off and went to reconnect a new light switch, both are two switches however the old light had on the back just a common L1 and L2. The black/red was in common, blue l2 and red and yellow l1. But with the new switch it has common 1 - l11,l12 and common 2 - L21 and L22 . Can someone advise where to put the wires, I've tried loads now and still not right, thanks!

Attachments

• 20220909_074500.jpg
    20220909_074500.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 121
  • 20220909_074352.jpg
    20220909_074352.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 126
Sponsored Links
both are two switches
Do you mean two way, or two gang?
The one you show is a two way, two gang switch and the wires shown seem to be one on/off and one second switch of a two way, or it was the master of a two way system and one gang.

The pair red, black if on off go to Com1 and L11, but if part of a two way system go to L11 and L12 so until it is known what you had, can't really say what goes where.

Likely if a two way switch you will need to inspect the other switch of the pair and copy like for like, most important com is correct, getting L11 and L12 swapped does not matter too much.

Most important to put the green/yellow earth wire in the brass terminal top left.

That's the old light switch

Attachments

• 16627110196596001555250131836157.jpg
    16627110196596001555250131836157.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 94
Sponsored Links
Is it possible for you to put the following into English.
I took my old light switch off and went to reconnect a new light switch, both are two switches however the old light had on the back just a common L1 and L2.
What does "both are two switches" mean.
Also, was it not the Switch that had "on the back just a common L1 and L2."
however the old light had on the back just a common L1 and L2.
Do you perhaps mean "on the back, three terminals"
Common
L1
L2
The black/red was in common,
?????? (What does that mean ?)
blue l2 and red and yellow l1.
Which may mean that the Blue insulated conductor was in L2 and the Yellow insulated conductor was in L1 - on the Switch.
But with the new switch it has common 1 - l11,l12 and common 2 - L21 and L22 .
Can someone advise where to put the wires, I've tried loads now and still not right, thanks!
While it is difficult to understand that which you are trying to do, your second picture shows the rear of a Pair of "Single Pole Double Throw" (SPDT) switches.
Each of these two switches can connect a conductor on the common (C) terminal to either the L1 Terminal or the L2 Terminal, depending on how the Switch is positioned.

Because it is almost as cheap to produce SPDT switches as it is to produce SPST (Single Pole Single Throw) switches, in most countries (outside North America) SPDT switches are the "norm" (and L2 may not be used - in many cases which do NOT involve "two-way" switching).

Last edited:
Which of these 2 options are you saying you found when you removed the old switch?
1662712684958.png

Is it possible for you to put the following into English.

What does "both are two switches" mean.
Also, was it not the Switch that had "on the back just a common L1 and L2."
I think it's very clear that both old and new switches are perfectly standard 2 gang 2 way switches
Do you perhaps mean "on the back, three terminals"
Common
L1
L2
I think it's very clear that both old and new switches are perfectly standard 2 gang 2 way switches

Perhaps to you but, in the Second "picture" in Post #1, I can see only one 2 gang 2 way switch (with other (possible (?)) pictures - above and below.)
However, I don't see "pictures" - only the top/bottom edges. (While there may be several pictures there, I can see only the middle one.)
(The First picture which I see on Post # 1 shows a metal "box", with some wires.)

Perhaps to you but, in the Second "picture" in Post #1, I can see only one 2 gang 2 way switch (with other (possible (?)) pictures - above and below.)
However, I don't see "pictures" - only the top/bottom edges. (While there may be several pictures there, I can see only the middle one.)
(The First picture which I see on Post # 1 shows a metal "box", with some wires.)

You describe post #1 correctly, the old switch is in post #4

...and that the switches are two triangles; not the top and bottom terminals; which may make the markings used more understandable.

1662729499635.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back