2-way lighting switches, on stairs

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Hello again.
Thank you again for all the help, I'm still amazed you were able to get me through it. Mrs Straw was nagging me all last weekend to leave it as it was but now it's done she keeps saying how good it is and wants to thank you too.

Now the next bit. our landing has a dogleg, there is a different light around the corner from this one which has its own switch you the bedroom door. We have decided we'd like it to come on at the same time but will need the switch by the bedroom door to wrok too. The light is easy I only have to put a new piece of cable to the other light.

As the moment there is a cable from the bedroom ceiling light to the switche and one from the landing light to the switch and the 2 black wires are joined together with a nut.

Ha ha.

Bit confused about the nut. More pictures?

You will need what is called an "intermediate" switch and a new cable (possibly 5-core) between the switches upstairs.

This is the sort of arrangement, but, of course, connections can be moved around to achieve the same result.

upload_2020-4-8_15-35-54.png

Edit - corrected mistake.

Last edited:
Hi Jack.

I think this is how you're saying the additional light is connected
upload_2020-4-8_15-33-21.png

with a ceramic wire nut for the neutral loose in the switch.

Can you confirm this please?

Yes that is just what I have.

The join is an orange plastic truncatedcone shape screwed onto the black wires.

Elf I've studied your circuit.
I can possible get another cable in tHe stink pipe space to connect your brow into Loop in the rose and grey into L.
Disconnect the red and blue between the switches.
The unused 2 core can go to downstairs switch and be joined to a new cable to your black and blue.

There are other ways to do it. You could use the wires at the third switch to supply the circuit.
You would still need another cable from switch to switch and light to light but just normal twin and earth.

I'll amend the diagram after dinner.

Ignore switch terminal numbers for now.

I reckon convetional method as it only require 2 strappers.

That means I'd have to bury another cable and it's only just been decorated. I think we'll have to leave it until we decorate next time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back