Replacing lightswitch

Sleeve the exposed copper of the earth conductor when doing the rest of the work
Hopefully, there won't be any exposed copper - after the earth conductor has been moved to the earth terminal on the new metal faceplate :)

Sponsored Links
What about the flylead?
As with all these 'should we earth the backbox' threads, I'm happy with the IET guidance...

Earthed backbox guidance.jpg

Hi, done the previous light switch successfully. Got another one I need some help with please.

IMG_6316.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6319.jpeg
    IMG_6319.jpeg
    243.7 KB · Views: 27
Sponsored Links
Can you see two triangles in the old switch and two triangles in the new switch - albeit one is upside down?

Just swap the wires

1707306253711.png
1707306390243.png

As with all these 'should we earth the backbox' threads, I'm happy with the IET guidance...

View attachment 331877

As a decorator that often has to deal with metal back boxes that are slightly proud- backfilling to accommodate thin metal flush profile plates, I am always grateful when the electrician has run an earth to the back box.

Particularly when very short fixing screws have been used.

Franky, I don't understand why any electrician wouldn't spend an extra 3 minutes running a lead to the back box (bar cost/profit).

The back box is plastic….would I remove the connector block of the earth wire and insert into the earth terminal of the new metal face plate?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back