2 gang two way lighting switch wired for 2 way & 1 way f

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there. Today i have gone out and purchased a range of switches etc and have some questions. I have looked at the instructions for this particular switch but it doesn't give any inclination to my question:

Question:
I have a 2 way 2 gang switch. In the back is on 1 side Com L1 L2 and on the other side is the same. what if the installer wanted to install a two way connection on one side of the switch and only a one way on the other side of the switch. Would it be as simple as to say treat them like 2 singles and work in that way.

left side for 2 way function using old wiring colors (need to learn them)

switch cable - black (bit of red tape) L2 and Blue from the 3 Core & E L2 red from switch cable L1 and yellow from 3 core & E to L1 Red from 3 Core & E to Com and of course the earths earthed to back plate.

For right side of switch one way function

switch cable - Red - Com Black (with red tape i.e. Switch live) - L2 and earth again to back plate.

i am aware that i haven't yet picked up the jargon and i also need to get my head around the new colors.

So the above demonstrates my understanding of a 2 way 2 gang switch wired on the left for 2 way function and on the right for one way function

Sponsored Links
andemz said:
Would it be as simple as to say treat them like 2 singles and work in that way.
They are two singles. They just happen to be in the same bit of plastic - there are no internal interconnections whatsoever.

Thanks guys thought that's how it is. I didn't get a 3 gang 2 way switch but would it be the same as a 2 gang 2 way but with an extra com L1 & L2??

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back