2 Gang USB socket- Square crew terminal fit three wires-

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Everyone,

My first post and straight away - I have two questions. Looking for some professional advise as other forums have left me totally confused between opinion and best practice.

1) - 3 wires into a socket. Sounds simple, its a ring main with a spur. however the new facia (double socket with USB port -see ScrewFix) has a square screw terminator connector. I have slotted the three wires in and out and never ever have I been convinced that all three are nipped. One always seems looser than the other two. The only way I found was to twist them together. I stripped them equally and used two pairs of pliers- one to hold the 3 cores still, the other to twist. It looks nice and the wires are really well together. Now I have read that twisting solid core wire is against regulations and must not be done as the wire may snap, which according to other forums means that the house will burn down. I do not want that. The question- In reality, do professional electricians do this occasionally, when there really is no other way and clearly the design of the connector is giving a unsafe connection?

2) Another socket - this time the 1970's electrician cut the leads short and they really barely reach to the terminals. I am quite sure that when I replace the socket there wires are like banjo strings. The socket works, and I have removed it to check the connections are strong. They are. But - tight wires seems like a no-no to me. So how the hell do I extend them? Again the internet says crimp+heat shrink, others say use Wago connectors etc. What is best practice? There are so many different opinions! What is the best and safest way to extend the wires inside a socket, when you can not run a new wire in?

Sorry for the long item....

Yes - I know I will be advised to call out a part P electrician, and that home electrics is unsafe. I believe you and know this- but I can not afford it so help me out!

Thank you everyone

poolz50

Sponsored Links
Twisting is not necessary and not something I've ever needed to do, but as long as you haven't actually broken any of the conductors it'll be fine.

Do you have a link to the socket?

Tight wires will not be a problem as long as they're securely in the terminals of the accessory.

If you do want to extend them, crimps would be my preferred option as they're cheap and take up hardly any room, but you need a proper crimping tool to apply them.

Wagos or strip connectors would be fine in a socket back box.

Twisting is not necessary and not something I've ever needed to do, but as long as you haven't actually broken any of the conductors it'll be fine.

Do you have a link to the socket?

Tight wires will not be a problem as long as they're securely in the terminals of the accessory.

If you do want to extend them, crimps would be my preferred option as they're cheap and take up hardly any room, but you need a proper crimping tool to apply them.

Wagos or strip connectors would be fine in a socket back box.

Hi RF Lighting, Thank you for your help. The socket was from toolstation (http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p36238). sadly you can not see the back. I am used to the screw pushing through a round barrel, not coming down into a square channel. Does that make sense? With round, they all get forced onto of each other and seem happy, this thing seems to leave one loose every time. And I have tried a LOT :)

I don't have a good crimp tool and an not in the mood to risk anything, so a more expensive wago seems like a good option as its a one-off.

I guess I would have to buy a 6-way connector for L N and E.

Thanks again. I am a little more reassured that the house wont catch fire.

The transformer on the USB thing is so big and squashes the wires so much I think I am binning it anyway.

p50

I don't have a good crimp tool and an not in the mood to risk anything, so a more expensive wago seems like a good option as its a one-off. ... I guess I would have to buy a 6-way connector for L N and E.
Wagos connect all the inserted conductors together - you will therefore need three separate 2-way ones - one for each of L, N & E. Alternatively, you could you a 3-way bit of 'connector strip'.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
1) - 3 wires into a socket. Sounds simple, its a ring main with a spur.
I suspect (know) three cables and nine wires.
If that's a response to my comment, I think that the OP's comment/question about Wagos related to his initial question (2) ("Another socket") which, in the absence of any comment to the contrary (and since he had referred to a "6-way Wago") I assumed had only two cables. The bit you quoted was in relation to his question (1).

Kind Regards, John

Oh yes, apologies.

Hi - sorry to muddle the questions. Yes- I am asking about making a small extension to the second socket. This is ALSO a spur point so there are three wires coming in/out, each containing L,N,E.

As I need to extend All of these, I figured I need a 6 way for LIVE, a 6 way for the N, a 6 way for the E.

For example, it would seem unwise to use a 4-way connector, tying all thee of the LIVE to each other and using one strand to carry on to the socket. Or- is this actually fine. I guess that even although there is only one-core going on to the double socket, the current on it will only ever be one sockets worth.

so maybe 3-off 4-way connectors, one for L,N,E is okay?

4 way would be ok assuming you have enough room to fit the connectors in behind the socket.

For example, it would seem unwise to use a 4-way connector, tying all thee of the LIVE to each other and using one strand to carry on to the socket. Or- is this actually fine. I guess that even although there is only one-core going on to the double socket, the current on it will only ever be one sockets worth. ... so maybe 3-off 4-way connectors, one for L,N,E is okay?
Yes, that's OK. It technically makes the socket a spur (because of the very short single conductors between wago and the the socket), but that is not really of any consequence.

Kind Regards, John

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back