Wires too short for socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a messily wired 2 gang switched socket. The back box has 3 cables coming in - I am guessing 1 incoming feed that is used for feeding 2 other outlets. The 3 set of stiff mains-grade wires are twisted together and stuffed into the socket terminals. After replacing the socket, a couple of the live wires are too short to reach the relocated terminal. So, I have extended the short wires using terminal blocks. The socket's grip on the twisted wires doesn't feel too secure and may well work themselves loose. What is the solution?

I need something that is small, accepts 3 incoming wires, and outputs 1 wire. The output wire then connects to the socket. I can make the output wire a good length so as to not have any tension on it. Are there any economical wiring device/mechanism/method that allows me to have this arrangement?

Additionally, should terminal blocks used in the way I described be insulated using electrical tape? I am thinking of hacking together a terminal block for the described arrangement - 2 input wires on one end and 1 input and 1 output wire on the other end.

Sponsored Links
"Are there any economical wiring device/mechanism/method that allows me to have this arrangement?"

Solder & shrink tube

"Are there any economical wiring device/mechanism/method that allows me to have this arrangement?"

Solder & shrink tube

Soldering 4 stiff wires together seems like a major challenge when there is not much length to work with.

Sponsored Links
Old fashioned terminal blocks are fine - cheap and relatively small.

No tape needed.

Thanks. What amps rating terminal block do I need? The ones I have currently are marked 380v 2.5. It's too small to stuff 2 mains wires into one end. I will go get something bigger

Just get the smallest into which you can get all four wires and ensure that all the wires go from one end of the connector to the other (from both ends) and are touching each other rather than just butted to each end of the connector.

Does that make sense?

I mean like this -

upload_2021-12-9_13-49-16.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back