2 layers on a flat roof?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old flat felt roof on an extension to the house that had developed a leak over the winter. I patched it with tape to see it though but figure it needs replaced before another winter. Never having attempted a roof before I thought the first step would be to get some quotes see what the "pros" would do with it.

I have had one back there the guy will do the following:

• Strip the roof..
    Recover roof with 1 layer fibreglass felt
    1 layer 4mm polyester torch on green mineral felt
    finish with flashings and raggle cut into wall.

Everything I read about felt roofs has three layers. Is the above two layer system legit or am I best to avoid this?

Sponsored Links
OK if it looks OK then I might consider this as he is asking for £500 which is probably pretty reasonable. (its approx 10-12M sqr BTW).

Sponsored Links
It's more than reasonable, it's cheap. Make sure the roof boards are good though.

£500 for approx 11sm works out at £45.45 per sm. On that spec I would have thought thats about right. Its a days work, materials won't cost all that much.

If the roof boarding is planks I'd go for three layers, the first being nailed. If it's sheets like plywood then 2 layers would be ok, but I'd taoe tye joints first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back