2 lights from 1 switch

S

sparkyhar

I am wanting to change my light in my shed from 1 light to 2 lights from 1 switch .
can anyone show me a diagram to follow to do this,
i have been told this is very easy but wouldnt like to make a mistake
:)

Sponsored Links
I am wanting to change my light in my shed from 1 light to 2 lights from 1 switch .
can anyone show me a diagram to follow to do this,
i have been told this is very easy but wouldnt like to make a mistake
:)
Assuming you have a ceiling rose arrangement.
With the power off.
You need to run T&E 1mm from the first light to the second light.
At the first light connect the new brown conductor to the lamps brown/red (switch live) terminal - connect the blue conductor to the lamps blue/black neutral terminal and the earth to the earth.
At the second ceiling rose - connect the brown to the lamps brown (switch live terminal) the blue to the lamps blue neutral terminal and the earth to the earth terminal.

Sponsored Links
I have made a diagram up from diagrams off here can someone fill the wires in.
I am more hands on than working out stuff
If the image is wrong please change,
:) :eek:

and if i want to put a third in were do wires go

:?:

I have made a diagram up from diagrams off here can someone fill the wires in.
I am more hands on than working out stuff
If the image is wrong please change,
:) :eek:
As far as I can tell your diagram is wrong - eyes very strained to see it clearly.
You appear to be carrying the live, neutral and earth loop from the first light to the second.
How does the power get to the light - is it through a switch with a fuse in it on the wall?

With the power off photograph the inside of the ceiling rose so we can how it has been wired up.

Riveralt, the op has said he already has a light and just wants to add another on the same switch, looking at the diagram he is right.

Riveralt, the op has said he already has a light and just wants to add another on the same switch, looking at the diagram he is right.
I agree so one switch turns two lights on - but the diagram doesn't show that.
Got me magnifying glass(view 400%) out and cannot see two cables in the first lights switch live - I can only see one blue conductor (with brown sleeve). The second light is joined at the live loop and neutral loop.
So cannot see how the single switch can turn the second light on.
I suppose I could go up to 800% ;)

in the diagram i have left the wires not connected for someone to say where i should connect em and in the first suppy go to loop and neutral and earth,switch has brown to loop and blue-brown sleeve to live, and earth,
then supply to next light has brown from loop , blue to neutral and earth to earth,
second light has blue to neutral , earth to earth and brown i have not put to anywere as wasnt sure were they went,

hope this helps

in the diagram i have left the wires not connected for someone to say where i should connect em and in the first suppy go to loop and neutral and earth,switch has brown to loop and blue-brown sleeve to live, and earth,
then supply to next light has brown from loop , blue to neutral and earth to earth,
Goodness me this is hard work.
Ignore the second cable locations at the first light.
You see the blue(brown sleeve) conductor in the switch live terminal - you put the second cable brown conductor there.
You put the second cable blue conductor with the other blue conductors on the left hand side. - connect the earths.

At the second light put the brown conductor to the switch live (brown pendant wire terminal) - the blue to the blue neutral pendant wire terminal
and the earth to the earth.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back