2 lights in same room, 2 way switch

So, the old switch had only two terminals?

That means one terminal for permanent live and one for the wire(s) that will become live when the switch is closed.

There are no neutrals in that switch, unless the blacks were connected into a separate terminal block to the switch.

What was the reason you wanted to change the 1 gang switch to a 2 gang switch?

No there were 3 terminals in the old switch one was not used, red and black from 1 cable in the com port and red a black from the other cable on the L1 port.

The 2 lights used to be seperated by a wall before i moved in, the wall was removed and the previous owner hooked the 2 lights into 1 switch, I want to be able to use one light or the other or both depending on my needs lol

Sponsored Links
//www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:Lighting if this does not help post a drawing of how you have connected the 2 switches to the 2 cables
upload_2016-11-17_19-58-41.png

Hope this makes sense,
Is there only one live feed into that switch?

Was the reason you wanted to change the 1 gang switch to a 2 gang switch to separate the switching of the lights?

You sure it wasn't both reds in one terminal and both blacks in the other?

I'm not saying you should do this, but have you already tried putting one red into each common terminal and each black into the corresponding L1 terminal?

Not sure about the live feeds, I only electrocuted myself once lol

yes

absolutely positive

I dont think so but I will have to wait till tomorrow to try again.

the other half wired it like this

upload_2016-11-17_20-6-14.png

Currently Light A switches on and off fine, Light B turns on but only when Light A is on (but it turns Light A off at the same time)
And yes this is just guess work, thats why I'm on here asking :D

PS the small purple line should be green lol

You need to connect the reds to the Commons, without a link.

At the moment the live feed in Light A's cable is running across to light B's switch wire (and turning it on) through the common link your other half fitted.

The 2 lights used to be seperated by a wall before i moved in, the wall was removed and the previous owner hooked the 2 lights into 1 switch, I want to be able to use one light or the other or both depending on my needs lol
Then presumably, as I have hinted, there used to be two switches which is what you want now.

You have two lights, two switches and two cables. D'oh!

Sponsored Links
But what is puzzling me is why, if there are 2 T&E switch drops amalgamated into one enclosure, the two cores from each cable were jointed together.

What you suggest sounds logical, Captain, however, Red is saying that each cable had its red and black connected together, ie red from cable A and black from cable A connected to one side of the switch and red from cable B and black from cable B connected to the other side of the switch. This just does not make sense:

The original switch had both the live and neutral cables from one light connected to the com port and the live and neutral from the other light connected to the L1 port

I thought maybe it was connected like this:

You sure it wasn't both reds in one terminal and both blacks in the other?

But Red was sure it was not:

absolutely positive

Last edited:
however, Red is saying that each cable had its red and black connected together, ie red from cable A and black from cable A connected to one side of the switch and red from cable B and black from cable B connected to the other side of the switch. This just does not make sense:
Oh yes, I see that is true.

I was thinking that was one of the options he tried which did not work.
It obviously doesn't work when connected like that, so...

If you draw it out, light B will not turn on when light A is on, unless the switches are connected up differently to your diagram.

With the RH switch (RH as we look at the diagram), connecting C and L1 of that switch sends a live to light B's black or red depending upon the LH switch position.

If both cables' reds are permanent line, the other position of the LH switch only serves to connect these two lines together.

Conversely, with the LH switch connecting C and L1 of that switch sends a live to light A's black. Reversing the position of the LH switch connects the two blacks together.

EFLI, I am thinking we will only see dim lamps (series) if the switch wires and neutrals are mixed up (at the rose).

Having said that, my brain is hurting a lot. I'm going to retire to a cool, dark room.

Come and get me when Christmas is over.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back