2 way double switch to a 2 way double dimmer help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning Forum

first post so please be gentle.

I currently have a double 2 way light switch fitted in my front room which operate a ceiling light and some wall lights, they all work fine and turn off and at both ends of the room.

I wanted to replace these switches with double dimmer switch.

at the dimmer switch I was thinking of putting the grey wire in c the brown wire in L1 and blue wire in L2 and match this at the other end for each switch would this be the correct way of doing it?

I have attached pictures of switch as it sits now and a diagram of the dimmer switch instructions I purchased from screwfix.

any help or advice would be great.

Attachments

• switch1.JPG
    switch1.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 122
  • switch2.JPG
    switch2.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 108
  • switch3.pdf
    492 KB · Views: 172
Sponsored Links
Have you got dimmers that can be used as a two way function? As your instruction imply that a dimmer can be used only at one end of the switching and a standard switch at the other, which is not unusual.
To have two way dimming, you need to have compatible switches that offer this function, this often requires a master and slave set-up.

You will also need to check the dimmers are correctly load rated for the demand.

You can get slave and master dimming switches, these don't connect like normal two way switches, but the slave sends a signal to the master to tell it what to do. Often they are touch control. Also often they also have a TV type remote. But the dimmer you have linked to does not have the option of working with a second dimmer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back