2 way dimmer switch

Two way dimmers normally have a pull push switch and twist to dim although there are types now which use a master and remote so the dimming function works from either switch. These will be installed as a pair and if you have just one half this could be the problem.
An interesting thought, and one which I didn't have. :oops:

I've now tried to work out if it could be wired to produce the results drt describes, and I've failed. I can get it so that the switch bypasses the dimmer, and turns the light full on - dimmer does nothing, but not so the switch does nothing with the dimmer in either position.

I think it might be possible to get the symptoms with miswiring and a half-buggered dimmer, but I think that's a coincidence too far.

Therefore you must have wired it incorrectly.
getmecoat.gif

The third thing I think is that we aren't going to get any further until we know what type of 2-way dimmer drt has, how the terminals are labelled, and exactly what conductors are in which terminal in each location.

Photos, diagrams etc...

[EDIT]Typo corrected[/EDIT]

Sponsored Links
Well some interesting comments been happening ;)
I am absolutely positive that it's wired up correctly, and I think that by putting the original non dimmer switch back on and it working correctly that have completely ruled it out.
The type of dimmer is this one http://www.wilko.com/switches+sockets/wilko-dimmer-switch-1-or-2-way-2-x-250w-white/invt/0072646
The back of it looks like thishttp://www.rbstarelectrical.co....original/4b0676b2125d164265e196fe9bc3c5c8.jpg
I'll take a photo of the wiring next week when I'm down there next.

Oh, just a thought, the dimmer switch for the hall lights (2 way) operates 2 lights in the hall in different places, could this affect it?

Hmmm, the link for the pic of the back does not seem to load, I've uploaded a pic but don't know how to show it here, the album is conveniently called "Dimmer"

[/url]

Could it just be a mechanical issue with the replacement dimmer switch mechanism?

Sponsored Links
there are types now which use a master and remote so the dimming function works from either switch. These will be installed as a pair and if you have just one half this could be the problem.

very careful of getting com to com, l1 to l1 and l2 to l2.

Any ideas please?

Master and Slave dimmer terminals are usually marked different
L and S and # usually

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back