Reconnecting 2 way light switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Simply put is it com-com L1-L1 and L2-L2 to connect 2 way lights back up, long version I fitted a Shelly dimmer 2 with a 3 way retractive switch and all woks fine but if I connect the 2nd switch up the dimmer relay goes offline, I have fitted a few of these but this is my only one with 2 way switches A5C2C538-B30F-48D6-ACF8-07F9C0337E18.jpeg1F8DA17F-E078-4B36-A367-CE5B6BBE1AA7.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Additional switches are connected in the same way as the first one. They must be the same type of switch - i.e. retractive centre off.

Are both the lighting circuits powered from the same circuit?
You will have problems if they are not (eg upstairs/downstairs situation).

Sponsored Links
Main switch is top of the stairs with 3 wires going down to the downstairs switch. I just need to know if I just mirror the connections

okay i thought it was live to com and the L are outs but according to a few sites it is this, can anyone put me right ?
Thanks two-way-switching-schematic-wiring-diagram.jpg

Additional switches are connected in the same way as the first one.
What part of that is difficult to understand?

but according to a few sites it is this,
It's not. That is for wiring two switches direct to a light.
You are not doing that.
The switch wires connect to the Shelly, as you have already drawn in the original diagram.
If you want another switch, it connects in the same way to the same terminals.

What part of that is difficult to understand?

It's not. That is for wiring two switches direct to a light.
You are not doing that.
The switch wires connect to the Shelly, as you have already drawn in the original diagram.
If you want another switch, it connects in the same way to the same terminals.
that's me set straight yes its for a shelly dimmer 2 and i had tried before but blew the dimmer connecting like to like so maybe it was faulty to begin with as i have all the rest of the house connected by Live going into com and the L1 & L2 going to the switch wire terminals on the shelly and every other light works fine, but this one is the only 2 way circuit. thanks for taking the time to post again and set me straight i appreciate it

Okay first off my apologies but I am totally lost with 2 way wiring I have the SL & L into the back box and then 3 & e from that switch to the downstairs switch to control the same light, so 2 in and 3 out how do I wire this, all extras (smart relay) stripped out so back to basic. I have. Com,L1 & L2 at both switches, the only photo of the wiring I had was for the bottom switch so connected that back up the way it was ?
Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 70

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back