2 new radiators on a sealed causing problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi- recently had our bathroom done up and hired a couple of Polish guys to help out with the tiling. they also said they could move the position of the towel rail heater (so it is higher on the wall). also we bought an old fashioned radiator so we asked them to install this in our hallway instead of the large double modern radiator that was there before.

the guys didn't drain the system which is a sealed system and is Potterton Puma Combi 100. when i got home the system had locked out because there was not enough water pressure under 1/2 a bar so i topped it up. the radiators came on including the 2 new fittings and it all seemed ok. Then the next day (yesterday), my wife called me up at work and told me the boiler was making a loud banging noise and that the water pressure gauge was going up and down in time to the banging noises. also the safety valve outlet was letting out a lot of water hot water. i told her to shut down the system including the hot water which she did. the banging continued until she turned off the mains water. water still came out of the safety valve outlet. 2 hours later she turned the mains water back on but not the system. the banging did not come back. when i got home in the evening, i turned the boiler on and the hot water. the hot water was fine and no banging. then i bled the towel rail heater which had a lot of air in it. i turned the old fashioned radiator off completely and bled all the other rads which actually didn't have any air in. i turned on the CH and turned the room thermastat up so that the flame ignited. the heating came on and all appeared fine except more water started to come out of the safety overflow. the water pressure seems at the high end around 3 to 3.5.
then at lunchtime today, more banging happened. i ended up doing what my wife did and turning everything off including the water mains. water was spluttering out of the over flow. a few minutes later the spluttering turned to a small flow of water. i then turned the water and system on but kept the room thermastat low so the flame would not come on for the CH. it's now 7pm and i turned the room thermastat up an hour ago and all the rads are hot except for the old fashioned one which is still closed and a trickle of water is still coming out of the safety valve outlet.
i'm worried that there is a load of air in the system and this is going to break the boiler. does anyone know what the problem is and suggest how i might fix it? Thanks Sion!

Sponsored Links
maybe you should get a proper plumer in. Cheap labour = cheap job. Best to pay to have it done properly really ( guess you have learn't your lesson ) Good luck.

Sponsored Links
does anyone know what the problem is and suggest how i might fix it?

Yeah, stand two feet away from boiler and chuck the money you saved at it :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

No, top up and bleed the air out, from rads and boiler schreader valve back of pump.

I ain't helping you out...

Congratulations on completing your customer relations course :confused:

I see too many customers (especially landlords) spending fortunes on wide screen tv's, sky, flash cars and bugger all on their heating systems. They need to get their priorities right. When you get as many calls as I do to sort out the botched work by these Polish charlatans your attitude to these cheapscapes will change.

When you get as many calls as I do to sort out the botched work by these Polish charlatans your attitude to these cheapscapes will change.

I fail to see your problem .......... You make a good living out of running around firefighting :D

When you get as many calls as I do to sort out the botched work by these Polish charlatans your attitude to these cheapscapes will change.

I fail to see your problem .......... You make a good living out of running around firefighting :D

You don't actually, its another myth perpetuated by the media and the uninformed such as yourself . Earnings are at there lowest level for years. Customers who use cheap labour often have f'all money left to have the job done properly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back