New tap banging and spluttering when turned on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had a new tap installed and when turning it on it judders, makes the pipes bang and splutters. I was told this was air in the system, but, I have turned the water off, opened all taps to allow any air through, turned the water back on and it still does this. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Lianne

Sponsored Links
Turn the water back on and open the new tap a little - the water will force the air out of the pipework.

Turning off the water and opening the taps won't get the air out of the piepwork

Unfortunately it didn't work. What I have noticed is that when it is banging / spluttering as you turn the tap it almost feels like there is a knot in the tap threads - not a very good description, but the best way I can think of describing it. I have looked for a way to get the top off the tap but cannot see any way of removing it - it is only a cheapie from B&Q.

A bit more info required

Which tap was changed?

When you say that letting the tap run didn't work - what exactly happened?

Sponsored Links
It is a mixer tap in the kitchen, but, the problem only occurs with the hot tap. The pipe comes from a condensing boiler through the bathroom (the taps in there are ok) and then runs to the kitchen tap.

I ran it really slow for about 15mins, when I first tried it it seemed to have cured the problem, but, within about 10mins the problem was back.

Thanks for your help so far.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back