2 of my radiators not heating up at all

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
now that it has got really cold we have noticed that the radiator in our bedroom is not heating up at all and neither is the one is the spare bedroom - the one in my daughters room is working but its luke warm all the other radiators in the house are working fine, we have tried tapping the thermostat on the radiator but not working - have bled it and water comes out but no air - any suggestions? its really cold in there and my baby is in the same room with us so i need to get it sorted asap

Sponsored Links
Take the TRV head off and check the pin underneath is not stuck down. You can do this without even turning he water off, it's the very big nut on the head itself.

Take the TRV head off and check the pin underneath is not stuck down. You can do this without even turning he water off, it's the very big nut on the head itself.

my partner has just tried this but to no avail. the trv comes off fine and the pin does not appear to be stuck as it still springs up and down but there does seem to be a green muck (rust-my partner claims) round the base of the pin could this be the problem?

How long has it not been working for?

Did you mention it to the engineer at the annual service?

May need balancing?

What colour is the water when you bleed the rads?

Tony

Sponsored Links
How long has it not been working for?

Did you mention it to the engineer at the annual service?

May need balancing?

What colour is the water when you bleed the rads?

Tony

we only moved in to this room in may and have only just noticed that its not working (i cant remember if it was last year or not as the room wasnt being used) it wasnt mentioned during the service as this was done in june and we only noticed the problem in the past week.
the water was a blackish colour which apparently is the liquid that is put in the rad to stop it from rusting? do we need to get someone in to balance them or is this something we can do?

thanx
bex

Black water is usually sludge and may indicate you have a sludge/blockage situation.

Inhibitor is clear !

See FAQ for sludge problems and for balancing info.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back