2 Ovens on Cooker Circuit

13A RCDs (with a fuse) have got reduced to fit a one gang faceplate. With a deep mounting box, and possibly a somewhat protruding faceplate, I think it should be do-able for either 1 x 20A or 2 x 20A. Of course 2 x 20A doesn't work as well as 1 x 30A for diversity, but if it enables Continental ovens to be wired to British circuits perhaps it's something that needs to be considered.
Yes, it's undoubtably technically do-able. The question is whether the development costs and size of the potential market would render it a cost-effective exercise. Like you, I suspect that it may well happen, eventually - but, as usual, I think we'd probably have to suffer a period of the products being extremely expensive before the prices started tumbling.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
You can also get quite small (20mm diameter showing) panel mount push-button breakers - making a hole in a box for them would be an easier DIY proposition than accurately cutting rectangular holes for the snap-in rocker type I showed earlier.

Talking of rectangular holes - what size are the ones in the faceplates for grid systems from MK, Crabtree, Scolmore et al?

Well - with a bit of filing away, they could be adapted to take those rocker ones - they need cutouts 21.5 x 44.5/50.5.

They'd look pretty naff on anything other than a black faceplate for the black ones though, or grey-if-it's-the-same-grey for the grey ones.

And I've just thought - there's no need for the enclosure with the device(s) in to be behind the oven - assuming everything is built in the new cabling to go from the outlet plate to the device(s), and then off to the appliance(s) could be on the surface to an adjoining cupboard. It's only the isolation switch which needs to be readily accessible. A small enclosure with a cover to stop accidental operation of the MCB(s) is not as big as a tin of beans - no big deal to find space for it.

I think it would be a workable solution.

Sponsored Links
Anyway, I emailed the manufacturer and they said to connect the oven to the 32amp cooker circuit so that's what I will do, and keep a copy of the email with the warrantee.

Anyway, I emailed the manufacturer and they said to connect the oven to the 32amp cooker circuit so that's what I will do, and keep a copy of the email with the warrantee.
If you do that (i.e. without any additional fuse/MCB), the cable connecting the oven to the circuit will, of course, have a current-carrying-capacity of at least 32A.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back