2 pinhole leaks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I want to ask any suggestion about a leaking copper pipe. The distance between the two pinhole leaks are 18cm. The nearest joint is 3ft away. Luckily it is not the pipe that get very hot but the one besides it. It is situated under the floor boards on the main bedroom upstairs. I want to know whether is it possible for me to sort it out or is it time to phone the proffesionals. I have uploaded some photos for you to have a look. Your suggestions and help is much appreciated.

Many Thanks

[/img]

Sponsored Links
Do the pinholes look like they've been made by careless nailing (slight indents around them) or is water apparently oozing out of an otherwise undamaged pipe? :?: :?: :?:

Sponsored Links
You're right, they were accidentally nailed by careless me. One hole was oozing out but the other wasnt that bad. Thanks

do you know what size the pipe is? Difficult to tell in this picture as they appear to look abnormally large.

Do you know what the pipes are? If one gets hot but the other stays cold then they could well be the pipes from the hot cylinder and cold water tank heading for the bathroom.
Step one is to identify them.
A plumber would probably (after draining the pipe) cut a section out either side of the leaks where there was a straight bit of pipe, bend a piece of new pipe to the same size and shape and then solder joint it in (an easy job for them).
Is this within your capabilities? Normally, a compression joint or a speedfit can't be used as the pipe are often too close to the floorboards.

Do you know what the pipes are? If one gets hot but the other stays cold then they could well be the pipes from the hot cylinder and cold water tank heading for the bathroom.
Step one is to identify them.
A plumber would probably (after draining the pipe) cut a section out either side of the leaks where there was a straight bit of pipe, bend a piece of new pipe to the same size and shape and then solder joint it in (an easy job for them).
Is this within your capabilities? Normally, a compression joint or a speedfit can't be used as the pipe are often too close to the floorboards.

As StephenW says this is the correct way to fix it BUT you also have the option of (assuming its 22mm pipe) using a 22MM X 22MM compression flexible hose, these readily available at 900mm long and would give you enough length to cut the pipe before and after the joist, ideal if you arent familiar with soldering.

For a small hole in a pipe that isn't under mains pressure you could try soldering over it, using a bit of braid from some TV aerial cable as reinforcement. I did this over twenty years ago when I accidently nailed into a heating pipe. :oops: :oops: :oops: (For reasons unknown, the nail ran off sideways in the joist.)

First you'll need to drain the pipe. Then clean the area around the hole thoroughly, lay the braid (which must also be bright copper) over the hole and solder it on. My patched pipe has never leaked. :) :) :)

Don't put compression fittings under the floor, on gas it's illegal, on water it's plain daft.

Drain down, cut back, relocate pipes so that they are in the middle of the floor boards an do the job properly now the floor is up.

Not the greatest example of underfloor pipe running is it?

Thank you all for the replies. I will take everything in consideration especially relocating the pipes. I will have a look on those compression flexible hose for remedy. From now on I will leave squeking floorboards alone :oops: Many thanks again.

"Trade tip"----if you can drain the pipe enough to keep the hole dry, just clean it, flux it, heat it and apply solder.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back