2 Problems with Bathroom Electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a 70s built house and the bathroom has 2 problems with the electrics which I would like to fix.

1. 3 recessed spot lights (not hologens) are in the ceiling. However, only the center one is reliable to work all the time. The other 2 sometimes work. If you wiggle or rotate the lightbulb the light will flicker and sometimes (if your lucky) it will stay on. At first we thought it was the bulbs, so we replaced the bulbs to find that isn't the case. We have confirmed this by also swapping them with a known working bulb and also tried the other bulbs in the working lamp and all bulbs work, so its the recessed lamps. I was wondering if there was something I could do to fix this problem or if anyone knows what it might be (ie: loose wiring, or eroded contacts). As mentioned, the lamps work sometimes when you rotate or wiggle the bulb inside them.

2. I have an electric shower which a few months ago we noticed a fishy smell when it was on. We stopped using it and called a an electricia out in fear it might be something serious. They said that the wires were the wrong 'grade' (or something) and needed a complete re-wire from the fuse box. He said it would be running a brand new wire with exposed truckin through the bedroom and walls to get to the shower. This isn't something i really want to do and would perfer it to be wired the same way it is now (inside the walls). The electrician unplugged the wiring from the fusebox to prevent any possible fire risk. One group of the wiring does appear to have it's wire casing around the wires melting/eroded away while the other group doesn't. But it had been connected quite rubbishly in the first place so its possible moisture would have gotten in contact with the wire. So, firstly, does the 'wrong grade' wiring thing seem true? AND does it actually need re-wiring? Or is this just BS? Secondly, what is the easiest way to resolve this problem?

Thanks for any feedback/suggestions/help :)

Sponsored Links
Ans1) There could be a number of reason why the two fittings are being temperamental, as you have stated in your post loose connection at the fitting could be a possible reason as could damage/wear and tear to the connection or the lamp holder. A little more investigation would be required.
Ans2) It is possible that loose connections again could cause cable melting, but firstly to offer any sound advise, we would need to know a few things about the set up you have, to confirm that the cable sizing is incorrect for the shower.
1) Cable Size (CSA)?
2) Shower output ?
3) Size and type of protective device at the board

Your options:
* You could have a new cable installed, that is correctly sized. Should be no reason why this cable cannot be routed within fabric of building, providing you are happy with cable chasing and floors lifting.

*or change existing shower to lower output, that is compliant with your existing cable size.

Are you sure the light bulbs are screwed in nice and tight?
If so and you still have the same problem then I think it's time to get some new ones as the point of contact in the bulb holder is not good. Probably not helped by the steam from the shower as the fittings are all open!

To avoid getting the ceiling replastered you'll need to fit recessed lights with an add on conversion plate to cover the hole'

These LED ones are very good and will be much cheaper to run. They are suitable for bathrooms too

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/LTFRD12NW.html
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/LTHCP.html

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back