Lighting wiring - 2 lights, only one works....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, newbie just moved into new house and trying to grasp the basics of electrical wiring etc.
In the summer house (small extension), we have an interior light and an exterior light wired into a 2 gang, 2way switch. The problem is that only the interior light works when switched on. I have replaced the bulb in the exterior light to no avail, so investigated the switch wiring. Below is a diagram of what i found...

Light 2 works, light 1 doesnt. Am I right in thinking I need to split the brown wire to go to the free connection on the left hand switch?

Sponsored Links
The small red link wire wants to connect to the brown wire on the right-hand switch and not where it is at the moment.

(I would have had the switches the other way up as well, but it doesn't really matter. May be some regs about that Neutral link between the two lights as well, but that's beyond my scope...)

It should work if you put the incoming live into the top hole as shown and the link between the 2 gangs between the top holes. Then, the wires to the lights go into either of the bottom holes on each switch. If the switch works the "wrong" way, ie light is on with switch in off position, swop the wire to the light into the other hole on the same switch. Brown sleeve it all and you'll have 2 working lights (it says here!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back