2 Quotes for new heating - what option should I choose - advice appreciated

Don't you get called to faulty and failed shower pumps then?

A Triton I fitted failed after just two weeks!

The motor was open circuit.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Hi MJGas, do you think a combi is the better option then? Thanks

No I would always go system boiler and unvented if space permitted. ************
Abuse deleted

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Ok thanks for the info. Could I bother you with one last question. The quote I have for Option 2: Vailant ecoTEC 630 with Main 170L unvented hot water cylinder. Honeywell DT92e or CM927 programmable thermostat sounds ok or do you have experience of other better boiler/cylinder, etc. Thanks very much indeed for your help

Cylinder for me is always a Joule. I dont think much else compares. As for boiler every installer will have their own opinion. Its Ideal or Intergas for me. I really like the Ideal vogue and of the few Intergas's I've fit they've give me no bother.

Thanks very much indeed for all the information. I think the un-vented option is the way to go and I can also then run the shower off it. The engineer did not check the water supply at all so I will just need to get that checked. Thanks again for your help. Much appreciated.

Boilers nowadays (unless cheap) are fairly reliable, and if you go for a combi, you may need to call an engineer out every few years, but you'd just lose the hot water for a day or 2, so you'd resort to boiling a kettle for a wash in the sink - no big deal really.

But whilst an unvented cylinder has a backup element in it, it needs servicing/checking once a year, so will add a lot to your costs over 10 years.

If you've got a good water pressure in the house, then because the 832 can produce a flow rate of 13L/minute, you'll get a very nice shower, but I suspect that it's more powerful than you need, so get the flow rate of the electric shower checked, and then ask what options there are for a lower spec one.

The one drawback with a combi boiler, is that if the water pressure isn't great, then if you're in the shower, and someone flushes the loo (runs the washing machine etc) then the shower can go cold; and you certainly can't wash up in the sink whilst the showers going..

But when I changed my partners incoming water mains, the showers now fine when other cold outlets are used.

With these things in mind, if you've got a good incoming water pressure, then I'd recommend the combi boiler.

No I would always go system boiler and unvented if space permitted. Agiles advice on such matters is mostly drivel. Next he'll be tellig you to only allow an additional 3kws for the heating of the cylinder.
It seems like it is your personal preference rather than advise based on functionality and convenience. Both systems have advantage and disadvantages, my personal choice would be combi boiler and retain his electric shower. But there you go everyone has different opinions and choices.

What OP needs to do is get hold of different quotes from different companies, not just two, ********* boilers can install a Vaillant combi boiler from from £1800 with 6 years warranty, and only £10 per month (£120 per year service contract) My mate went with someone else for larger Vaillant 830 or something and paid £3000+ and they have still not completed the job, left his room stat still not wired, and did not perform a flush, today he was asking me to check his letter he wants to email them as they have taken all the money and are not coming back to complete the job.

It seems like it is your personal preference rather than advise based on functionality and convenience. Both systems have advantage and disadvantages, my personal choice would be combi boiler and retain his electric shower. But there you go everyone has different opinions and choices.

What OP needs to do is get hold of different quotes from different companies, not just two, Mera boilers can install a Vaillant combi boiler from from £1800 with 6 years warranty, and only £10 per month (£120 per year service contract) My mate went with someone else for larger Vaillant 830 or something and paid £3000+ and they have still not completed the job, left his room stat still not wired, and did not perform a flush, today he was asking me to check his letter he wants to email them as they have taken all the money and are not coming back to complete the job.

It seems to me like you're advertising for a company.

MJ, I have no idea who this company is , mentioning them is not favouring them, but I thought they offered a fantastic deal, but I have no idea how they are or if they are even reliable, I heard them first on my Local radio, where they were adverting for a Vaillant for 1500 plus 10 yrs guarantee, but then when i went on their website to see, there was no 1500 pound deal mentioned there, so yes I could report themn for adverting wrong and not standing up to their adverted price.

No I would always go system boiler and unvented if space permitted. Agiles advice on such matters*************

I find your comment abusive!

The Energy Saving Trust advises that 3 kW is allowed in the boiler sizing.

Tony

abuse deleted Mod

The Energy Saving Trust advises that 3 kW is allowed in the boiler sizing.

Perhaps energy trust are referring to old cylinders, not a Megaflow or similar that will sink 24kw if cylinder is cold and supply hot water within a very short period. Sometimes one has to look at the figures and make up own mind as to what is practical and will be an effective solution

If whole house needs 15kw to warm up and 3kw you and ET recommend, 18kw still 25% undersize. So 15minute to reach 70% ( only an example as I do not care to be 'very precise and carefully measure etc.') cylinder capacity will not be achieved. With a modern condensing boiler, efficiency will be great, but is that the way efficiency of operation is to be achieved. I know a car is very efficient at speed of 56mph, my wife's car super efficient at speed of 35mph on the motorway, but do I want to limit myself at these speeds on a trip to big smoke from rain town Glasgow? Think not.

Tony, have you ever carried out dynamic temperature checks on a cold unvented cylinder at startup?
If yes, what are your findings.
This is a genuine question

Thanks very much indeed for all the information. I think the un-vented option is the way to go and I can also then run the shower off it. The engineer did not check the water supply at all so I will just need to get that checked. Thanks again for your help. Much appreciated.

Know of one installation, a WB storage combi fitted where a smallest combi would struggle to supply rated hot water flow rate

Detest electric showers; while might be good as backup, cylinder far better if water mains supply adequate

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back