2 RADIAL CIRCUITS ACTING AS ONE!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The sparks who wired our kitchen extension and put in a new consumer unit says we have 2 radial circuits downstairs - 1 for the lounge & kitchen; 1 for the 'study' which he connected to 2 MCBs in the unit. I now wish to extend the 'study' circuit out into our newly finished conservatory. When I tried to isolate the circuit today I had to switch off BOTH MCBs at the unit (each one on its own had no effect) and, of course, both circuits went off. When I switched ONE back on, both circuits came back on! I don't understand!

Sponsored Links
Sounds like they arent radials, but two legs of a ring main.

Either that or something is bridging the two radials together at some point along their path.

I do understand. What you appear to have is a ring final, with both ends wired into different MCBs. This is VERY DANGEROUS and I strongly advise you to turn off at least one MCB for this circuit until a proper electrician (not kitchen fitter / builder) can come to rectify this. What rating are the MCBs?

Did you get a certificate for the wiring in the extension?

Thanks for the replies. We are of the opinion that it is something bridging the radials since I believe it has behaved as 2 radials in the past. How do we find out where and what is the problem? I have, nonetheless, ensured that one of the MCBs is switched off - they are 20a - and I have tried to contact the electrician today but unseccessfully so far. He is a 'proper' electrician and he has not yet signed off the work in the kitchen because there is a mass of work, all of which he will certificate at the same time.

Sponsored Links
When I tried to isolate the circuit today I had to switch off BOTH MCBs at the unit (each one on its own had no effect) and, of course, both circuits went off. When I switched ONE back on, both circuits came back on! I don't understand!

I don't understand why your attempting DIY on the home electrics when you have a spark working for you?

It's deffo a cock up, what you need to decide and pass on to your spark is wheteher you wish to have 1 x ring at 32A or 2 x radials at 20A. The decision will have to be based on load existing and near future for each circuit.

PS If the spark has joined the radials over 2 x MCB I'd be worried about his 'skill' set/

Thanks again. I've just managed to speak to the electrician who will be round tomorrow. Will report what he has to say in light of all these comments.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back