2 radiators added to system :- Fixing the bodge job

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right after having a couple people around to quote and advise why the 2 radiators added in my conservatory dont work have found out its because of the microbore used to add them. So im going to get it all swapped out to 15mm.

Because of all the costs mounting up of works i have had done i have decided im going to fix this myself so i know its done right. Dont abit of plumbing over the years and use to using a blow touch but just want to check my what im going to do it right.

Here is a picture of how the new radiators extend of an existing 1 in the house.

01032010003.jpg

01032010005.jpg

01032010004h.jpg

Im going to remove the iso valves and replace with just straights. Apart from that all seems ok here yes?

Will post up the conny side of stuff later when i get home

Sponsored Links
Sorry but I think that looks bloody awful; why the torturous return run under the full length of the radiator like that, was it necessary to get the flow & return run through inside the cons or just to get them through the same wall hole! Even so it could have been done neater than that.

Are you also aware that in order to comply with Building Regulations, any heating system installed in a conservatory must be capable of being independently controlled & isolated!

Actually i believe that no permanent source of heat in a conservatory is allowed (because this makes the room permanently habitable and therefore subject to planning permission.

That said try balancing the system rather than repiping.......bet they work (albeit less efficiently)

Actually i believe that no permanent source of heat in a conservatory is allowed (because this makes the room permanently habitable and therefore subject to planning permission.
I think you mean Building Regulations, which are not the same as planning permission.

Planning permission is not required, provided it is "permitted development", see http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/public/buildingwork/projects/workcommonconservatory/

Building Regulations cover how the conservatory is constructed.

A conservatory is defined as an extension with at at least 75% of the roof and 50% of the walls made from translucent material, e.g glass, and which is thermally separated from the rest of the house by "external quality" doors.

If the conservatory has a floor area less than 30m², it does not have to comply with Building Regulations.

Any heating system has to have independent time and temperature controls.

Sponsored Links
Actually a permanent source of heating is allowed in a cons subject to conditions in D_Hailsham’s post which makes it exempt from BR’s. If you fail to meet any of the requirements, the whole BR/Planning pack of cards can come down on your head as it then becomes an extension. The heating leg also has to be capable of independent isolation but that’s hardly difficult.

That said try balancing the system rather than repiping.......bet they work (albeit less efficiently)
But you could be right about the balancing. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back