2 red and two earth wires coming into Bathroom light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am replacing an old bathroom pull cord ceiling switch with a new 6AX 1 way ceiling switch. But when I looked underneath the old switch cover, two red live wire come in and two green earth wires coming in. I expected a live, neutral and earth.

The new 6AX 1 way switch has a ‘L’ live terminal and a ‘COM-L’ terminal and an earth terminal

Does it matter which of the two old red wires I put into ‘L’ or ‘COM-L’ ?

Sponsored Links
you dont have neutrals in switches,it doesnt really matter which wire goes in common,although its good practice to keep the switch feed in it

Sounds like your lighting is wired in 'singles and earth' hence live feed with earth and switched live with earth. It really does not matter which red goes where, one in com and other in L1, although it would be best practise to put the feed in the com terminal and it is essential that the earths are connected together (but not in the L2 terminal)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back