Wiring a replacement pull switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am about to replace an existing pull switch that has two wires - a black and a red. The Red is wired to a terminal labelled "common for 2 way" and the Black to a terminal labelled "D.P. Load".
The New switch has 3 terminals: Com L, L2 and a symbol that looks like an upside down Christmas tree (Earth?) The New switch is a 6AX 1 way celing switch.
Please advise which two terminals I should wire my Black and Red wire to... Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Further to my earlier posting, I've just disconnected the original switch from the celing and noticed a 3rd (bare) wire bent upward along the cable sheath. I assume this is my "missing" earth wire?

The red wire will go to the com terminal on the new switch.

The black wire needs a piece of red sleeving or red tape put on it (to show that it is the switch return wire), & it will go to the L terminal on the new switch.

The Bare wire is the earth wire, & needs a piece of green/yellow sleeving put on to it, & it will go to the earth terminal on the new switch (The upside down christmas tree terminal)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back