Replacing a 2 gang 2 way switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When i unscrewed the old switch , looking at the back of the switchplate there were three terminals along the top labelled (from L to R ) B , A2 and A1 and 3 terminals on the bottom labelled B2 , B1 and A

The wiring on the old switch was as follows : a black cable into B and a black cable into A
and a red cable into A2 and a red into B2

The replacement switch shows 4 terminals on the top labelled ( L to R )COMMON , L2 , COMMON , L2 and the two on the bottom both labelled L1.

I wasnt sure what this meant so had to leave it for now

Can anyone advise what the COMMON terminals represent and into which terminals do i insert the relevant black and red cables

I'd appreciate any help

Sponsored Links
Basically A used to switch to A1 or A2 (depending on switch position)
and B used to switch to B1 or B2

On you new switch, COMMON switches to L1 or L2 which is above or below the COMMON in question

So basically you will have one COMMON on the top (with an L1 and L2 below it). That's one switch

then the COMMON on the bottom (with the L1 and L2 above) is the second switch.

Kimba said:
Basically A used to switch to A1 or A2 (depending on switch position)
and B used to switch to B1 or B2

On you new switch, COMMON switches to L1 or L2 which is above or below the COMMON in question

So basically you will have one COMMON on the top (with an L1 and L2 below it). That's one switch

then the COMMON on the bottom (with the L1 and L2 above) is the second switch.

Thanks for that Kimba

I take it the 2 black cables go into the 2 COMMON terminals and then the 2 reds into L1 or L2

cheers

If you want the switch to be down for on and up for off, you put the red live to 'com' and the black to L1 (or L2 if you like)
A two way switch has two outgoing paths (L1 and L2) but only one can be used at a time, the other terminal is common to both paths hence it is marked 'com'
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
MANDATE said:
If you want the switch to be down for on and up for off, you put the red live to 'com' and the black to L1 (or L2 if you like)

ERm it makes no odds which colour wire you connect to which terminal, but generally you use COM and L1 if you are using a one way switching circuit, which give the usual down for on, and up for off. Com and L2 would generally give the opposite.

just to clarify for others that might read this in the future, in a one way circuit (with two wires) it doesn't matter which wire goes to which terminal, as long as you use C and L1 (although it is convention to use common for live feed).

If you use L2 for 1 way switching, the switch will be on in the up position.

The only time it makes no odds whether you connect to L1 or L2 is on a dimmer, then it makes no difference whatsoever!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back