2 room stats in a normal open vented system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking into a way to prevent my central heating from coming on if my log burner is lit in the lounge. I basically want to install a 2nd room thermostat in the lounge above the log burner, so that when the fires lit and it quickly gets above 25C it will prevent the normal room stat in the bathroom from firing the boiler to increase the house temperature, but instead allow the fire an hour or 2 to heat the whole house up. The problem I've got at the moment is the heating keeps coming on when the fires lit and with a 18KW boiler and 9kw log burner the house is quickly too hot and we end up opening windows upstairs all the time to cool down when we go to bed because the boilers been on as well. Does anyone know of a way to wire a 2nd stat in series with the first to act as a limiter?

Sponsored Links
Roomstats are normally connected to motorised valves to create zones, why complicate things with a second stat. Just move the existing stat to the lounge?

Sponsored Links
the stats in the bathroom, as the towelrail has no trv fitted and is the boiler overrun (heat dump rad) so you get nice warm dry towels when ever the boilers on HW or CH summer and winter. If i move the stat to the lounge if the fires not lit the room stat will have little or no effect in a room with a trv fitted.
I don't want to keep adjusting the stat everytime i light the fire as sometimes it goes out when we are out and it would be handy if this would trigger the CH to come on. Why are all kettles fitted with auto shut offs now, the old fashion ones simply boiled and you turned them off manually. I'm looking at a simple labour saving modification.

Maybe an idea to move stat to lounge. Just leave the TRV in lounge on full and let the room stat control temp. As the stove heats, the stat will cut the boiler.

Or have I missed something?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back