Wood burner heating system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. Firstly let me explain a bit about whats going on. I am a electrician and have just bought a new house (new to me, it was built in the 1940's). We havnt moved in yet, hopefully all signed and sealed and completed in 6 weeks time!

Currently the house has central heating run off a gas fire in the living room with a back boiler. The hot water cylinder is directly above this on the first floor in the airing cupboard. I am not sure (cant remember/didnt really look) but presume it is an indirect cylinder, and it is a vented system currently.

What I want to do is fit a wood burner in the lounge with a back boiler (logs are free for me!) and let that run all my DHW and CH. I would also like to have a gas boiler installed so that if I am away and the mrs doesnt want the hassle of lighting the fire etc etc then she can push a button and use the gas boiler.

I was wondering what the possible options for doing this are? Could I:

1. Use the existing cylinder and use the wood burner to heat the cylinder via the coil and have a normally open valve so if theres a power failure it dumps heat to a radiator. Then have a cylinder stat so once the cylinder is up to temperature it can open a valve to heat radiators if the room stat is calling for heat? Not sure how a gas boiler would be coupled up to this system?)

2. Have a twin coil cylinder and use the wood burner on one coil and the gas boiler on the second coil?

I will get a plumber mate of mine to do any gas works and other certifiable work, and will obviously seek his advice too, but want to know a bit about what I am thinking first really. All work I can do myself like installing pipes etc, I will do as I am pretty competant with a blow torch and have some common sense!

Thanks for your help! Chris

Sponsored Links
You might be able to do a straight swap with very little pipe work alterations. The flow might need raised to accomodate the gravity circuit to accomodate the larger dimensions of the stove.

I just did one in a property that was plumbed in the seventies that has a real gem of a pipework configuration. A real beauty.
Its not in any of the text books.
Its a credit to the guys of that era!

And just finished a detailed cad laminated schematic to give to the current owner to future proof against any subsequent owners being hamstrung with head scratching course cowboys.
Sorry I can't post it up here even though it would only take me a few minutes.

Woodwarm have a few good schematics though which will do.

Click on the (pm286) pdf here also....................
http://www.stovax.com/stoves/tradit...es/boilers_stoves/technical_stockton_8hb.aspx

Let me know if you want the woodwarm pdf info also.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys those links look good will have a proper look at them when I get home and will let you know what I think I could do! Much appreciated.

I'd give Woodwarm a very good look FS, great appliances.
Don't get carried away with fancy link-up systems if your main heating source is going to be the stove. A gas boiler can be incorperated quite cheaply. The object is to ensure primary water is not circulated through the SF boiler when the gas boiler is operating.
HTH

How about using a Dunsley Neutaliser to combine the solid fuel and gas boilers?

http://www.dunsleyheat.co.uk/layout.htm

Good idea?

Why bother with the expence, when you could employ the services of a time-served artisan, who'd fit a couple of non-return valves & circulation pump & Bob is a close relative??

Anyone else notice how the BOFS & Google monkies don't reply to a thread of this nature!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back