2 switches 1 light... not enough cables!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My setup is a stairs light controlled by 2 switches- one at the top and another at the bottom... the existing ceiling rose developed a fault so needed replacing. All the others in my house, as well as lots of light switches and sockets, have been changed by me so I'm definitely capable of doing it. I matched the existing setup from the old rose and that works... to a point... Basically if I turn the light on downstairs and move upstairs I can turn the light off and on BUT if i leave it off and return downstairs and try to turn it back on again- it won't work (and visa versa).

I've looked over as much of the help and how to's on this site i can possibly find relating to double pole type switch/light setups... all of them have the diagram stating you'll have 4 live [brown/red] wires, 2 neutral [black/blue] and an earth. i've got 2 black, the earth and 3 red... only 3. so I'm very confused how to get it working! one of these wires has to go next to the ceiling flex and i've tried all 3 in this position and only 1 will work it (in the way described above). I've placed the other 2 in the loop section as per the various diagrams, but they don't make a difference- i've tried many combinations of these 3 wires in all manor of locations within the rose and nothing seems to work!
As well as the way outlined above- I've managed to get the light: permanently on when neither switch will do anything; and permanently off, again with no switch having an effect.

Any ideas anyone? If no one has a solution i can resolve then i'll be getting an electrician so please don't answer telling me just to get an electrician!!! :p :)

Hope someone can help!
Nikdade xx.

Sponsored Links
What cables are connected to the switches both upstairs and downstairs?
And what colours go on what terminals in the switches.?
What cables & wires go to waht terminations in the rose?
Sounds like you've messed up the 2-way switching. Maybe by transposing a red...

Sponsored Links
If the "cable-saving/conduit" method has been used then the two way switching cables may be at or pass through the ceiling rose. Also there my be a hidden term box soemwhere......

At this point I strongly suggest that the OP does NOTHING at the switches or he will need both an electrician called Einstein to sort it out!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back