2 Way Light Switching

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

I've just moved into a new house, the garage is currently wired up with a ceiling rose at either end which are individually switched.

I want to remove both pendants and install a 5ft batten and have a 2 way switch so i can turn the light on from either the front or back of the garage.

I have already setup a quick test rig using 3 core & earth for the switches and T&E for the switch and supply into the light and confirmed it all works and able to use both switches to turn the light on/off ok from either end.

However is it possible to have only the switch cable going into the batten and having the supply go directly to the switch, this is due to the location of the switch and incoming supply. I can do this but want to mimimise the amount of cable going to the light. I have looked around but can't seem to find a diagram which facilitates my requirements.

Thanks in advanced.

Sponsored Links
You can have the supply t+e coming into the switch, one t+e to the light from the same switch and then a 3 core + e from that switch to the other switch.

The neutrals are joined together in the switch. 3 core goes in C, L1 and L2 and then the feed L goes in L1 and the switch L goes in L2 (or vice versa)

Sponsored Links
There is a diagram on how to do that exactly in the STICKY on lighting circuits at the top of this forum.

Go here //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=37582 and follow the very last diagram.

Thanks. I did check the sticky initially before posting but as it had cables from both switches going to the light fitting it didnt match the setup i wanted.

To confirm what i want to acheive is,

1.0mm T&E supply to Switch 1
1.0mm T&E from Switch 1 to Light fitting
1.0mm 3C&E from Switch 1 to Switch 2.

So if follow i ricicle's & holmslaw's posts, this should fit my requirements?

Cheers.

Or - do it all in an adaptable box in a place that best suits you......(next to the Cu / Incomming supply)....... using wagos.

From the adaptable box :-

3-core to switch 1,

3-core to switch 2,

T&E to light,

T&E to CU......job done. :)

P.S You'll also need 1 x 5-way, 2 x 3-way & 2 x 2-way wagos/connectors.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back