2 switches 4 wires and I still need help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need some help please.
I am trying to reinstall 2 light switches one for my kitchen (SW1) and one for my dinning room (SW2). when I took it apart, I could of sworn there was a wire going into SW1, another wire going around a screw to SW1, then over into SW2, and the other 2 wires was also into SW2, which is how I have it now. Only SW2 is the only responding switch.
Upon futher investagating...it also has 4 white wires, and 4 copper wires (I'm guessing these are ground). the 4 white wires are all hooked together via wire nut, as well as the copper wires the same way. It's obvious I dont know what I'm doing, but maybe the person that installed this in the first place didnt either...hope that gives some light to what I'm working with here.
When I turn off the braker the following lights stop working: front and back portch, entryway, SW1, SW2, and the garrage. when I dont have SW1 and SW2 switches in, only the garrage works. can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong.

UPDATE:(what I've figured out so far)
from sw1 to sw2 is a continuious hot; however, when I have a wire from the bottom of one switch, to the other, it trips the breaker. I take the wire off one, and sw2 works and the garrage works, but nothing else. Could it have been a light fixture I reciently installed into the entryway? I checked it and it seems to be connected correctly(and it was working before this past weekend), but both porches, the entry way and the kitchen still has no light.

Sponsored Links
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back